Alaska management verbally announces furloughs for

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wait and see

Let's let the MEC and Negotiating Committee use the contract (Section 23) and ALPA can prevent the furlough of nine pilots using a reduction in scheduled line flying. Please remember, years ago many pilots received certified furlough letters and nobody was actually furloughed. So I suggest the "nine", and those of you feeling threatened for the "next round" of furloughs, let this run it's course and I'm predicting there will not be any furloughs.

Just downloaded the Nov. bid packet (BidPro) and our ANC lines went from 72 last month to 59 this month. That's a lot more than 11% reduction in flying.

Still out of a job for 24 months starting November 10th. Furlough or what ever folks want to label it, it still has the same flavor to those of us guys/gals at the bottom getting the notice.

The reduction in flying isn't a complete loss of 11% system-wide. Some of the flying went to SEA....their lines increased. ANC just went to pure arctic and Hawaii flying.

Last edited:
The line averages were dropped as well.

LAX: 79.66
ANC: 79.11
SEA: 77.34

As I see it there will be no base changes and they will just use the current ANC guys for the ETOPS stuff and the Arctic. With only eight guys leaving the bottom in ANC and some early outs that takes care of the problem of ETOPS training and moving expenses. They won't be necessary. Seattle was overstaffed before and now the movement of some flying from ANC to SEA takes care of that.

I too believe the "Alaska Nine" will be forever known as the hostages of the great depression of 2008.

Doesn't this violate the contract since they did not do all the things necessary to reduce block hours, etc, to stop the layoffs? I thought they had to do some more stuff first and the union said they would file suit over this??

All the contract says is:

Reduce Bid Blocks: In the event the Company furloughs pilots, the Company and the MEC shall meet and establish a program for reducing the number of hours in the bid blocks to prevent the furlough.

It has appeared they have done this with the lower line averages for November.

The other furlough mitigation is just extra.

I am one of the Alaska 9.

My only request is that you guys fight for something worth coming back to...Kasher + and no less.

Wish me luck, there are not many jobs out there.

ZP in Anc

Today, on the online water cooler, somebody asked why we are giving the Portland Jazz festival $100,000.00 when we are laying off pilots. I love his answer....
"The only alternative to pursuing more revenue is to make deeper cost cuts!
-- Gregg Saretsky, executive vice president of flight & marketing (October 6, 2008) "

Good answer... for a politician. Unbelievable!

Today, on the online water cooler, somebody asked why we are giving the Portland Jazz festival $100,000.00 when we are laying off pilots. I love his answer....
"The only alternative to pursuing more revenue is to make deeper cost cuts!
-- Gregg Saretsky, executive vice president of flight & marketing (October 6, 2008) "

Latest resources

Back