Alaska ETOPS...problems?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HAL

A question for any of you AS folks out there; I heard from a source today that AS may be in trouble with their imminent Hawaii flying. The word is that your management had been betting on getting an exemption from the ETOPS rules to allow you to fly overwater with only domestic fuel reserves, and now the FAA has said no. This is causing a problem because your -800's can't do the flights with ETOPS fuel and anything resembling a decent load out of SEA or ANC. Apparently AS is trying to buy up every available seat out of SEA on us starting in mid-Oct because their flights may not be going. Any word from the inside?

HAL

If Aloha can manage it out of Phoenix with the same plane, I don't see how Alaska would have a problem from the coast.....

I have not heard this problem at all. I was trained a while ago for ETOPS and they never mentioned any problems. I did hear from some people that we may have to block off a few seats to carry more fuel but this is a rumor.

HAL,

With this management team that would not surprise me at all. Same team that decided to fly YVR to SNA without realizing that there are not customs officials in SNA. For a few days, had to stop in SEA on the way to SNA. I'm sure pax loved that!
In all reality, I'm not sure why you need customs at SNA since all US bound flight out of YVR clear customs in YVR???

If Aloha can manage it out of Phoenix with the same plane, I don't see how Alaska would have a problem from the coast.....
I don't think Aloha flew nonstop out of PHX - they stopped in SNA on their way westward, just as they do now out of SMF, RNO etc.

HAL

ATA is doing it with 800's out of OAK, and PHX... I was told we will be able to fly full in and out of HNL but have to block a few seats out of LIH.

I don't think Aloha flew nonstop out of PHX - they stopped in SNA on their way westward, just as they do now out of SMF, RNO etc.

HAL

AQ flies nonstop SMF-OGG. Back when they flew YVR-HNL I think they occasionally had to do tech stops during the winter. Also, last winter I overheard WestJet on the radio (which I think uses -800s) stopping in EUG before heading west bound to HNL.

Latest resources

Back