• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is no such thing as a "non starter" .... They may not like or want it but that's why they call it negotiations!

Can't they just do premium pay trips instead of vsa ...

The difference between a premium trip and VSA is that a premium trip is posted for all to see/pick-up once the trip becomes open. The company has to post it and hold their breath that somebody is going to pick it up. A pilot "picking up VSA" basically puts himself on reserve on his day off for the company. IF a trip becomes availalbe and the company chooses to use the VSA pilot, then the trip is paid at 150%. If the pilot is not assigned a trip, the pilot is paid nothing. The VSA pilot must accept a trip assigned during a period that they voluteered for VSA.

VSA is so damaging to the staffing formula because the company can/does use VSA as a free reserve system. They can staff reserve to the bare bones because they KNOW that on any given day they are going to have a certain number of pilots signed up for VSA. So for every pilot they can count on a day to sign up for VSA, that is 3-4 less pilots the company needs to be on reserve.

You have to truly have no-life to want to volunteer for VSA. I commute, and even though I have days where I am in my base with too little time to go home but enough time too pick up a trip...I would NEVER EVER IMAGINE sitting RESERVE for the company FOR FREE. Premium pick-ups, sure. Nobody is on furlough, knock yourself out. VSA...REALLY...if you are going to volunteer, go volunteer at a soup-kitchen or an animal shelter.

The difference between a premium trip and VSA is that a premium trip is posted for all to see/pick-up once the trip becomes open. The company has to post it and hold their breath that somebody is going to pick it up. A pilot "picking up VSA" basically puts himself on reserve on his day off for the company. IF a trip becomes availalbe and the company chooses to use the VSA pilot, then the trip is paid at 150%. If the pilot is not assigned a trip, the pilot is paid nothing. The VSA pilot must accept a trip assigned during a period that they voluteered for VSA.

VSA is so damaging to the staffing formula because the company can/does use VSA as a free reserve system. They can staff reserve to the bare bones because they KNOW that on any given day they are going to have a certain number of pilots signed up for VSA. So for every pilot they can count on a day to sign up for VSA, that is 3-4 less pilots the company needs to be on reserve.

You have to truly have no-life to want to volunteer for VSA. I commute, and even though I have days where I am in my base with too little time to go home but enough time too pick up a trip...I would NEVER EVER IMAGINE sitting RESERVE for the company FOR FREE. Premium pick-ups, sure. Nobody is on furlough, knock yourself out. VSA...REALLY...if you are going to volunteer, go volunteer at a soup-kitchen or an animal shelter.

Are you implying that the day someone has signed up for VSA, he is sitting reserve and must report for duty if called out?

At least voting" I am against the ALA Contract 2013 Tentative Agreement" was simple this time....what were there, 112 of us last time

Last edited:
non-starter... Hah!

From Heywood: I heard from a Capt. "in the know" that management's position on negotiating any scope protection for us was "a non-starter" from day one... no matter what.

If management is telling you your jobs are safe or that they're in it for the long haul or that there are not now - or will be in the future - plans to outsource or contract routes, then writing a scope clause won't cost 'em a dime & logically, becomes a non-issue to write. Remember, if it's worth saying, it's worth putting on paper!

However, if management refuses to address scope or remains silent on future plans...

A strong scope clause is the foundation of a contract. It sure ain't glamorous. In fact, it's downright boring. But without it, your whole contract is weak and at risk! Translated, that means your whole pilot group - including 20 year captains - are at risk!

Between firm orders and options, SkyWest inc now has 600 new 75+ seat airplanes on the way. The Alaska pilots will get what they deserve from this contract vote. Don't get all butt-hurt when the SkyWest airplanes take a whole bunch of flying you currently do. The SkyWest pilots have no say in this. The Alaska pilots do. See you in line at Ivars!

Latest resources

Back