• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Classes!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is what Andy sent me and I basically sent an abridged version of this.

Dear Sir

I have a great deal of concern over S. 65, To Amend Age Restriction of Pilots. I have looked at many safety studies and have seen a direct correlation between accident rates and age among professional pilots. A pilot in his/her 20s is prone to accidents due to lack of experience. That moderates from a decreasing trend to a flat trend until the mid-50s, where the accident rate begins increasing again. The graph is U shaped, and the pilots in the 56-59 age group reach an accident rate nearly identical to those of the 30-33 age group. I urge you to read the FAA report that I have included a link to: (http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/age60/media/age60_3.pdf). Please note the graph on page 24.
As we age, our physical and cognitive abilities decrease. It is hard for us to look at ourselves in the mirror and admit it, but it is an indisputable scientific fact. Some of us age more gracefully than others, but as we mature, we all experience decreasing physical and cognitive abilities. Pilots are not immune to this fact, and the data from the FAA report (cited above) is indicative that the lines between increased experience and decreasing abilities crosses, on average, at the age of 55. In fact, I would speculate that pilot sick leave takes a large upward turn starting at age 55, an indication that the physical and cognitive demands of the job start taking their toll around that age.
Some will argue that we should simply increase our testing standards to eliminate those pilots no longer fit to fly. However, according to testimony by the Federal Air Surgeon, tests for physical and cognitive abilities are not readily available at a reasonable cost.
There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that we are living longer, healthier lives and it makes sense to increase the retirement age of pilots. But are we really? While the quantity of life (average lifespan) has increased, has the quality of life in our seniors improved? I would argue that the average lifespan has increased due to medical advances which prolong life, but fail to address the quality of life. We have seen statistics where the percentage of smokers has steadily decreased over the last forty years. But match that up with our obesity rate over the last forty years. The negative health effects of obesity are much less apparent to the naked eye, effects that strike viciously with no warning.
I have heard some say that the age 60 rule is discriminatory. The age 60 rule was recommended to the FAA by a medical board back in the 1950s. They based their decision on scientific reports available to them at that time. Upon review of the FAA’s 2003 report, it appears that they should have chosen age 55 as a safer retirement age. Unless there is a greater reason to change the age rule than safety, I would suggest that if any change were made, it should be changed to 55. At least there is scientific data to justify that retirement age.
Is there a pressing need to change the current retirement age, in effect lowering our safety standards? There is no current shortage of pilots; in fact, many major airlines (American, United, Delta, Northwest, US Airways) have pilots laid off; the number is in excess of 7500. That is more than ten percent of the professional pilot population. So there is certainly no shortage of highly qualified pilots available. Do we really need to rush forth and change a system that is not broken?
I have read that S. 65 has been attached to the DOT’s appropriations bill, as section 114. This provision was not included in The appropriations bill is now on the Senate calendar under general order number 535. I urge you to remove section 114 from the appropriations bill.

All the Senators are out of town for the next 6 weeks...

Tejas
I should have known, they are on vacation again!

As far as LAX, there are 114 crews as of 8-06 with flying mostly on the
west coast. I believe the only east coast trip they have is DCA.

Last edited:
Eight of us started class today. Four are from Skywest (2 CRJ CA and 2 EMB CA), one 1900 driver from Frontier Flying Service, Fairbanks, 1 Eagle FO, 1 Empire ATR cargo guy, and 1 furloughed United/ex-Horizon/corporate.

Here's the breakdown for base positions:
6 737 ANC
2 737 LAX

Haven't heard what the next class will be.

Eight of us started class today. Four are from Skywest (2 CRJ CA and 2 EMB CA), one 1900 driver from Frontier Flying Service, Fairbanks, 1 Eagle FO, 1 Empire ATR cargo guy, and 1 furloughed United/ex-Horizon/corporate.

Here's the breakdown for base positions:
6 737 ANC
2 737 LAX

Haven't heard what the next class will be.

So 1 ALPA guy and 7 non-union pilots. What a shock.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not at all saying that any of you won't support the pilot group. It just indicates where management's head is when they decide whom to hire. If they honestly think that if they could only hire less militant types and their problems with morale will go away then they are sadly mistaken. Unfortunately I think they are so far out of touch that they may actually think that.
At any rate, welcome. The best Thai Food is at Emerald Thai about 8-10 minutes south of the training center on Pac Highway. It is at about 222nd or so on the left. Good luck staying awake during the computer based training.

I have spoken with no less than 4 new hires (in the last 9 months) that are planning on leaving. I guess the eskimo mystique isn't what they think it is. Perhaps they should live it and find out how bad it is.

Obviously you are not being kept busy enough in ground school if you can find time to goof around on message boards! Sheesh.

CR - Enjoying the new class? What bases did you and Steve take? No MD bids eh? I wonder if they are saving them for the 23rd? Have fun!

Baja.

Latest resources

Back