• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Class Drops.*

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I guess I will give you that. However to judge someone's tone via a written format on a message board is very difficult. I believe it cuases many of the heated debates (if you would like to use that word) on this forum.

Lastly if one is surprised, it is not becuase I would think any less of Alaska, just what the motivation would be to leave a fairly stable large airline with tremendous growth, to a stable large airline not expanding as quickly.

I think both airlines are Blue Chip airlines, I was just wondering in this environment "WHY" somebody would leave one for the other.

Regards,

AA
Considering both airlines are making money, Alaska pay is somewhere in the middle and due to go up significantly, and retirements are significant for both airlines, I submit that the most probable reason is location.

Lastly if one is surprised, it is not becuase I would think any less of Alaska, just what the motivation would be to leave a fairly stable large airline with tremendous growth, to a stable large airline not expanding as quickly.

I think what you meant to say is why would someone leave a large fairly stable airline with tremendous growth, a variety of opportunities, both national and international to a little (100 airplane )airline with no growth, little or no variety, lousy pay and advancement only through death or retirement.

Once you are a lineholder what is life like? Average credit hours? Days Off? I have heard that most of the SEA MD trips are west coast whereas the 737 trips cover the East coast alot more. Also sounds like locals go more senior than three or four day trips??

Once you are a lineholder what is life like? Average credit hours? Days Off? I have heard that most of the SEA MD trips are west coast whereas the 737 trips cover the East coast alot more. Also sounds like locals go more senior than three or four day trips??
Between 75-85. Usually average around 80. Can build up to 85. Anywhere from 13-19 days off. Both ends are rare. Usually 14-17 days off with average of 15-16. MD is all West coast. 737 is same plus some East coast. We don't do a lot of East stuff but there's some. 737-200 is all Alaska stuff but the 200 will be gone by April.
Turns go very senior everywhere because Alaska is extremely unique in that the majority of pilots live in or near base. Most don't commute.
Hope that helps.

Updated/Corrected

6-08
-----
Skywest- 3
UAL- 1
CO- 1
USN- 1

6-09
-----
Horizon- 2
COex- 1
TW/AA/Kalitta- 1

6-10
-----
COex- 3
Lakes- 1
Skywest- 1
USAF- 3
Island Air- 1
USN- 2
Mesaba- 1
Horizon- 1
USMC- 1
ERA- 1

6-11
-----
ANG- 2
COex- 1
USAF- 1

6-12
-----
Eagle- 1
UAL Furlough- 1
CO- 1
USN- 1
SkyW - 4

6-13
-----
Horizon - 2
SkyW - 2
USAir Furlough - 1
Military - 1
Great Lakes - 1
NWA Furlough - 1
Pinnacle - 1
Trans States - 1

6-14 - Starts Nov 27th

*unofficial*

I'm so confused. . . correction:

6-12 class
------------
Eagle -1
Horizon/UAL Furlough/corporate - 1
Empire - 1
Frontier Flying (FAI) - 1
Skywest - 4

Considering both airlines are making money, Alaska pay is somewhere in the middle and due to go up significantly, and retirements are significant for both airlines, I submit that the most probable reason is location.

I'd have to agree with that thinking...

If I were living in a west-coast base with a good outfit and I was commuting all the way to an east-coast base....

I'm thinking QOL is only going to go up by getting on with the local outfit.

Now, it's all about sched. but if you pull a $hitty pairing and you're commuting over 2000 miles to do it, that's gonna be a pretty sucky life, IMO.

I'm all about the no-commute! ;-)

Latest resources

Back