• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Arbitration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many contracts have expired with no agreement over the years... almost every single one. The threat of self help is obviously the only real powerful tool the union has in its pocket. This fact has never been more self evident. I don't know who would have the will to use it when your company is on the brink of survival like so many are these days (Alaska not included). I also don't know if this contract will irreparable harm the relatively high moral and pretty good culture at Alaska, losing a third of your pay is a tough pill to swallow.

Have any Alaska Pilot's heard any kind of official (or not official) response from the MEC? I know it's easy to Monday morning Q.B. this thing but considering it has turned out to be such a total and complete disaster I'd like to know what made our negotiators believe that the strategy they pursued had the highest likelihood of success. Were they as blindsided by this as we were, and if so how is that possible given their combined intelligence, resources and research? It seems like the primary goal in this process would be to make the best, most reasonable argument you could for your pilots, guage as best as possible which way the arbitrator is leaning and then minimize the loss, even if that involves cutting a deal. I just hope that "max pay to the last day" crap wasn't the guiding principle in our dealings with management, especially given the fact that it's arbitration and we don't have the ability to strike. A question for other Alaska pilots... was anyone aware that it was even possible to not have a compromise of some sort on compensation? Personally, had I known this outcome was even a remote possibility (or as it has turned out, highly likely) I would have made some $ adjustments just in case. I truly believed, based on conversations with many senior guys who have seen these things through, that somewhere around 20% was the worst case scenerio.

I guess it's really the same question we're all asking... "What the f--- just happened?"

Obviously, it is no doubt that the majority of the airlines are headed by greedy and incompetent individuals who claim to care for their employees. I have painfully learned that Alaska is not immune. Alaska is not at the brink of bankruptcy and if it hadn't been for the "tactical" tax write-offs, Alaska would actually show a profit, IMHO. To take 1/3 of the pay away in the name of "being competitve" is more than a slap in the face; it's start of a lose-lose war. Perhaps, that's what the company wants - to bring down the morale of the work groups, blame the po'd off workers for taking the company into bankruptcy, and take away everything (ie. pension). It's the kind of paycut you'd expect from a company facing chapter 11, if not worse. As the saying goes, you can only kick the golden retreiver so many times before it bites. As for the arbitrator, I highly doubt that he didn't receive any incentives for his ruling. Greed is the cancer.

I'd like to know what happened too. From talking to the older crowd, it seemed like the paycut would be around 15% at the worst. Ayers, in his joke of plan "Vision 2010", wanted a 23% pay reduction. How the xxxx did I end up with a 34% paycut? That's a deadly blow financially if you are living on the west coast. Being in the red financially, beyond that in my case, is a flight safety issue as far as I'm concerned. I know I'm only pi$$in' in the wind but venting is rightfully called for in this situation.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity. Any chance the company will come back to the table now for less pay cuts in exchange for a change to the A plan? I am guessing that is all you have to work with right now. Except maybe the offer to make it a 5 yr contract instead of 2.

Although it may not mean much to the guys at Alaska right now, I have talked with several of my fellow QX pilots and we are not only stunned by the results, but are extremely angry with it as well. As the other half of the Air Group we are now going to taxi just as slow behind the eskimo's, etc. and feel it is a blow to us as well.
I haven't been to work since this came down, but I guarantee I will make sure every other captain at Horizon knows my position that we as pilots of the Air Group will not stand for this BS, and will back our brothers at Alaska.

Oh Ya, just like they did when QX got their award winning contract with the help of the almighty Teamsters. Whatever.

Let me get this straight... you're comparing Horizon's pre 9/11 contract that awarded significant pay raises to every seat in every aircraft (minus Dash 8 captains) to one that slammed us with an average 28% pay hit?? Are you saying Alaska pilots should have been doing something to help you avenge that 'travesty'? Are you pissed about your contract, pissed that your union isn't working for you or at Alaska pilots? Remember, roughly 25% of us were at Horizon at one point or another, if the shoe were on the other foot you would have our unwavering support.

This totally sucks. After this the better be growing.

On a side note, pilots have never "taught the company a lesson" for slow taxi and running the apu, etc. If you think mgmt is going to show up at work today and suddenly realize that the pilots are pi$$ed, it's time for you to wake up.

"Our pilots are taxiing slow and running the APU alot, they must be upset...lets give them their money back." Probably not going to happen.

I guarantee you that mgmt know you are pi$$ed, and will remain that way for the next ?? years until a new contract is in place.

The only thing you can do is start saving for you strike fund because I know that every pilot that is still there when a new contract comes due will not forget what has just happened.

All I can say is that I am very sorry for the Alaska guys. I have many friends flying there and this is a big blow. Best of luck.

Carl_Spackler said:
This totally sucks. After this the better be growing.

On a side note, pilots have never "taught the company a lesson" for slow taxi and running the apu, etc. If you think mgmt is going to show up at work today and suddenly realize that the pilots are pi$$ed, it's time for you to wake up.

"Our pilots are taxiing slow and running the APU alot, they must be upset...lets give them their money back." Probably not going to happen.

I guarantee you that mgmt know you are pi$$ed, and will remain that way for the next ?? years until a new contract is in place.

The only thing you can do is start saving for you strike fund because I know that every pilot that is still there when a new contract comes due will not forget what has just happened.

You don't think United management took notice of what their pilots were doing a few years back. But I agree about saving for the strike fund. Though I believe many Alaska pilots will never be willing to pull that trigger.

Latest resources

Back