• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Airlines Poolies?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know the financials on UAL are still shakey, but their press releases put a positive spin on the news. Can someone recap how they have been doing in the last month or two.

If they did go out, it would have an immediate and dramatic impact. If we thought the airlines were a two class system (majors vs commuters) the loss of United would definitley cause a 2 class society. . . the Haves & Have Nots. Some places would grow like crazy and another 8500 would be looking for a job. One herd of planes would be flying to the desert, while another was flying out.

dogg said:
Just talked to a friend that spoke with Paul Majer at OBAP.. Paul said that there is no new hiring planned until 2005.....Sounds like anyone holding out for a job at Alaska better hop in to the SouthWest pool or risk drowning..... what a drag and everyone said that they were doing so well.... sirah, sirah

Of course Paul is going to say no hiring. That is what the people above him have told him to say.

Remember, they are trying to convince us to take pay, retirement and work rule concessions right now. When all this settles. My guess is, we will start hiring again. We retire 27 pilots in o4 and then the guys really start leaving in droves.

I would even venture a guess that we will announce some sort of aircraft order when the "Vision 2010" is solidified.

What is the general consensus among the Alaska pilots . . do you think future pilots will lose retirement benefits? Is that something they are willing to give up?

Fresh from Pilot Recruitment,

"Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we will have a class this calendar year. Optimistically, a new hire class will not occur until the beginning of 2004..."

This was written in a letter sent to a poolie friend of mine. My guess is that with the 106 training events caused by the new bid, the training dept. doesn't have the resources to train new hires too.

form letter

I received the same letter. There was only one sentence that has me concerned.

"The method of pulling pilot applicants out of the pool will be determined once we have details about the new hire classes."

Does this sound like a "competative pool"?

I hope this means they don't know how many of us will be in each new hire class, and when those dates will be.

Oh well, looks like several more months of government cheese...

I'm either 4 or 5 of the December 5. I'll wait as long as it takes...

Best news I've seen is from AK737FO - the retirement numbers. Thanks.

Last edited:
I emailed Bonnie for an address change, and she replied that AK is going to a new online system in Oct. Could this be in prep for hiring/interviews?

Waiting for the phone to ring.........

So.....

Alaska is a MAJOR now huh? None and I mean NONE of you jokers wanted to work for Alaska 3 years ago, and if you did you only saw it as a stepping stone for United or Delta, etc. Yeah, I said it. Get out of the way and out of the pool for those of us who really want to make a career there someday!!

Latest resources

Back