Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mar

Remember this one?
Just curious. Are there any Alaska Airlines (former JetAmerica) pilots on this board that can describe the events of this merger?

Do you recall the terms of the merger? Issues like seniority, training, different airplane types, bases, etc...

Just a 'bump' before I go.

bump!

mar--I was just a commuter puke on the sidelines but I knew some people involved.

I believe the JA people got DOH. I believe that's how Alaska's LGB domicile came to be. I think all the JA pilots were based there. I think they had a Chicago base for FA's, though.

That may be the reason Alaska has MD80's. I don't know if they had any prior to the merger.

There wasn't a lot of heartburn or anguish so I believe the JA people got a fair deal.TC

opinion only

I have heard a wide variety of opinions on the merger. If a guy is X-Jet America, he will probably still be on the MD and will say that it was the best airline ever on the face of the planet. He might also add something about being screwed by the merger - like maybe he should have gotten a deal better than DOH. How about DOH plus a year - now that would have been fair!

The other side is about the fact that ALPA gave up a big chunk of coin on a concessionary contract. Shortly thereafter, Alaska management bought Jet-A, and gave them DOH which forced some native Alaska pilots out of their Captain seats. Now would that make me mad? Give up a pay cut, which allows my airline to go out and buy another airline with my money, then loose my Captain's seat because of it? I think I might be a touch torqued.

I don't even know how long Jet-A was even in business. I think it was less than 5 years. In this business, that is nothing, just a flash in the pan. There is still a little "shrine" in the training center with a bunch of Jet-A stuff - which makes no sense to me. And yes, we are still stuck with a bunch of high priced MD-80 leases that we bought from Jet-A.

AA717driver said:
There wasn't a lot of heartburn or anguish so I believe the JA people got a fair deal.TC

My info is only second-hand from Captains, but there was plenty of heartburn. Alaska pilots took a double-digit pay cut so the company could "grow" the airline. Then they turned right around and bought Jet America and ran it as a separate entity. They told the Alaska pilots all the growth was going to be at JA because their costs were so much lower. Alaska pilots freaked and the company ground to a halt. Then the two were merged into Alaska and JA pilots all have the date of merger on their ID's as date of hire. I think that only counts for non-rev travel and years of service in the defined benefit plan. I think they got JA date of hire for bidding purposes.

I could walk around the corner and talk to some of the people involved and who were there at the time. The MD-80 Fleet Capt, Asst Fleet Capt and Dir of Flight Standards are old Jet A guys, and the Managing Director of Flt Standards and Training is a long time Alaska guy who was around at that time.

However, at this time I really don't see the point in dredging up something that took place 20 years ago and the feelings that went with it. If anyone has a very compelling reason why I should, I'm willing to listen.

No need

You are right flx, there is no need to dig up old bones. The only thing this pilot group really needs to remember is what Alaska management "might" do with the money freed up from a concessionary contract. We have seen it happen, right here on our soil - so lets do all we can to make sure that we don't "fund" a merger again some day. Something about those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it comes to mind.

Yep

AK737FO said:
Something about those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it comes to mind.

Couldn't agree with you more on that one, buddy.

Not trying to dredge up hard feelings...

I'm just interested in that merger because I'm told the circumstances resemble a possible merger on the horizon at a completely different airline.

The best way to predict the future is to study the past.

That's it. Nothing more. I appreciate the feedback so far.

If you think this topic is too volatile for a public forum but think there's another aspect that was missed I'd appreciate a PM.

Ciao.

Latest resources

Back