• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

akward xjet interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, I guess I'm screwed in a few months when I apply.

I'm logging 40 hrs of multi-time per month, but its in my own plane, not working for someone else.

Guess applying w/ 800 TT / 600 ME, and logging 40hrs ME PIC per month isn't gonna work if I'm not flying in some way for a living.

That interview group sounds like the spawn of John Dresser. I guess they are still up to their usual unprofessional interview tactics.

Say what you want about John Dresser, but his tactics worked and were dead on. He would always put a little pressure on the applicant to see how they would react in a stressful situation. If you folded, you were sent home. If you stuck to your guns and kept a positive attitude, the man would ease up and the interview became a very relaxed atmosphere. Personally I enjoyed interviewing with JD, in the end he was a pretty nice guy.
I don't know if the new interview board is trying to adopt some of JD's strategies or not, but if they are I think it is a good thing. And let's face it with less than 1000 hours and even less multi you should consider yourself privileged to have a chance to interview for a position flying a jet.

145 Lawndart said:
Maybe you should rely less on gouge and more on just being yourself. I can spot a canned answer a mile away.
Lawn-are you eluding to the fact that you were interviewing, or just flaming??

I don't recall anywhere in Cue's post where he specifically stated what the canned answer (if any) was just "the usual," which for the question could be a multitude of things. Give a guy a break, he just got rejected for a job. How would you feel if that was your SWA interview?

Vik said:
Wow, I guess I'm screwed in a few months when I apply.

I'm logging 40 hrs of multi-time per month, but its in my own plane, not working for someone else.

Guess applying w/ 800 TT / 600 ME, and logging 40hrs ME PIC per month isn't gonna work if I'm not flying in some way for a living.
Actually that is extremely competitives. They want to see recent flight time. Don't care if you're getting paid for it or not. They don't care how much you make or spend doing it either. Just want to see it.

CUEBOAT said:
Everthing seemed just like I have been reading until room number 2, where the captain told me that the duchess was a piece of 5h!t, ok? thanks for the heads up??? He then asks classic capt. below mins question, I answer with the usual. after which he says "I dunno why we even ask these questions?" He seemed like an alright guy, maybe just too many interviews today? Room number 3, HR girl and 2 chief pilots(Newark/Houston). HR girl asked me what base I would like, I say newerk since I live in NYC. EWR chief says, "noo you dont wanna live there, why would anyone wanna live in ny?" At this point I didn't even want the job anymore, getting really unprofessional. Next houston chief asks me a few q's about LJ-55, specifically max service ceiling? I reply with 51,000ft. He replies "WOW that's really high" extremly condersending tone. Then they ask me what I am flying now, I tell them I am intsructing in a sim and going to college both full time. They then tell me they cant offer me a job cause I am not flying anything right now. And I should get a flying job and apply in 90days. Wish I was told that on the phone interview. All in all it was a learning experience.

Better luck to the rest of you.
Sounds to me like they were just trying to have fun with the interview and take the piss a little bit, and realized that either:

1. You couldn't take jokes and wouldn't be a fun person to spend 4 days with out on the road.

and

2. They want to see recent flight experience. It doesn't matter if you were chief flight instructor at a 121 school. If you aren't currently flying anything, then you more than likely won't get the job.

Sorry to hear about that, dude. You have to realize that the interview is just this game to bring out your personality. When someone tells you, a Duchess is a piece of ****, you just have to grin and fire it right back at them something like "well, that's why I'm here." Or pick whatever you can think up fast. It's best if you can make them laugh, but don't overdo it. Remember, they're looking to see if they can spend 4 days on the road with you. Need to have a sense of humor and not take stuff too personally.

Same thing for "You don't want to live in NY. Why would anyone want to live in NY." Say "I think the Yankees have a good shot this year." I'm sure anyone here can think up much better replies than these. Relax. Be yourself.

Stick with it. It took me two years, two interviews and and two-inch stack of "thanks for applying" postcards before I got a shot. Don't discount your last interview. There's plenty to be learned from it that will make you that much better next time. Take their advice and see if you can find something to get you flying more.

Latest resources

Back