Airtran-Swa. out of seniority?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ron burgundy

heard junior folk are transitioning before senior guys. shed some light please.
Also,if true,how so?

Not baiting...just want to know......HOW? I'm sorry..big old can of worms. I know.
It's a frustrating, sensitive, sore subject to touch upon. Again..not trying to start $hit.
I am merely looking for the facts. LET'S KEEP IT DOWN TO 3 PAGES. Your opinion/interpretation doesn't count! Hard to believe for most people on this forum.
You perform your jobs based on.... hard data. Can we try that here?

Thanks

Scoreboard is exactly right. It was part of the agreement that SWA could choose the composition (base/seat/aircraft) of the folks who transitioned over. It goes by seniority within those parameters. But there are junior FO's now making more money than senior FO's, and that is really where the contention is. SWA wanted maximum flexibility to draw down the bases and aircraft as they saw fit, in order to maintain two operations, and to shrink one operation and grow another. I know you didn't ask for opinions; but my only problem with the transition is the slow initial pace and the lack of a clear plan. It's been sorta loosely goosey and that hasn't given anyone a ton of confidence.

Last edited:
first and foremost, it's about money.
how and why, it was agreed that swa would determine who and when came over. from what a union guy told me, was that mke and mco are not going to be bases anymore (for airtran, not swa), so they wanted to get those pilots trained first, regardless of order. atl is closer to order, but swa isn't going to bring all aai capt's to train as swa f/o's then train aai f/o's to be aai capt's for short term cuz of...$$$.

but my only problem with the transition is the slow initial pace and the lack of a clear plan. It's been sorta loosely goosey and that hasn't given anyone a ton of confidence.

as a swa pilot with a good aai friend, fairly senior guy on the the 73, i am very disappointed in how swa is doing this. first an foremost, business is business, but there is good and bad business. his 2 complaints right now are; 1.) not knowing what is going on, 2.) that guys much jr to him have a better quality of life, pay, sched, etc than the senior guys. part of this is alpa's fault i believe. the way it was told to me was alpa didn't put up a fight for how the aai pilots were to be chosen. swa put on the table the way they wanted to do it, which was simply we(swa) will make the decisions on how the pilots are brought over, and alpa agreed to it. swa gave no plan and alpa didn't ask. swapa guy told me they were surprised alpa agreed to this, but that was a agreement between alpa and swa.

i don't expect swa to tell the world what our next city will be or our next a/c purchase, although it seems we announced hawaii before we had/have the ability to go there, go figure. back on track, but in my opinion keeping employes in the dark about their so called 'secure' future is disingenuous to me. it is still a great gig, but the tarnish is starting to accumulate at a somewhat alarming rate for me.

Latest resources

Back