• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran-Swa. out of seniority?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just read SWA flight 3201 lost cabin pressure. Landed safely in DAL. Can you guys on the SWA side tell if this was an older 73 or NG. I'm sure a new thread will be started shortly. I hope it's not another pop top.

You'd better hope not.

If SWA ever buys another airline that's not bankrupt and that airline puts up a fight, we're screwed.

Staple us to the bottom, then JUST when we're getting back to where we were in relative seniority (8-10 YEARS from now), they buy another airline that gets a FAIR integration and voila, our pilots would be frozen at their seniority for the rest of their career, and in many cases become career F/O's.

Money is all fine and good, but part of Quality of Life is sitting in the left seat, whether people want to admit it or not. I looked at the SWA list. Less than 3% of their F/O's were bypassing CA upgrade for Quality of Life pre-merger. Most people like the left seat; it's just human nature.

As such, you put another airline acquisition with a FAIR integration per M/B in the mix, you can kiss your CA seat goodbye if you're an F/O now at AAI and if you're a CA less than 50% down our pre-merger AAI CA list, you'll never see the top half of the seniority list unless you're one of our very few CA's under 40.

If it's a bankrupt carrier going out of business and they get stapled? Fine. If not? Game over in terms of upward career progression.

The math is pretty simple, and the risks with a highly-stagnant seniority list here IF there's another merger are pretty high. I just hope the playing field levels for a while in terms of mergers and acquisitions once AA and UAir do whatever it is they're going to do... SWA has at least 3-5 years just to finish assimilating AirTran and figuring out the Caribbean puzzle pieces and where they want to put them. After that, I just pray for organic growth and expansion.

Calm down. I am not included at the who we should buy next meetings any more than you are. Like you, and everyone else I want what is best for me, because ultimately that provides me with the most time or money with and for my family. Southwest may buy another airline. If it is a legacy we are screwed. If it is not, they will probably get steamrolled like we did. That's something I recognize could happen whether I like it or not.

Calm down. I am not included at the who we should buy next meetings any more than you are. Like you, and everyone else I want what is best for me, because ultimately that provides me with the most time or money with and for my family. Southwest may buy another airline. If it is a legacy we are screwed. If it is not, they will probably get steamrolled like we did. That's something I recognize could happen whether I like it or not.
I'm calm, was just putting the raw truth of the matter out there and I understand what you're saying, wanting what is best for you and your family; we're all pretty much like that, both at AAI and SWA.

Yes, it's out of our control but, at the same time, people need to understand the risks. My first hope is that we don't merge again and grow organically and if that proves to not be the case, I expect SWA management to protect us just as avidly as they protected the Morris guys - not a single one of us is senior to a single one of them. They've set that as precedent.

they could outsource the I.T. problem with Int'l Res and have it up and running within a few months
SWA did outsource the I.T. problem to Amadeus. The trouble is that the SWA situation is so fouled up that Amadeus said that they couldn't fix it until early 2013, and that was back in April.

Should I hang my head low while providing arguably the most user friendly Jumpseat service in the industry?

This CEO brokered "this deal" because SWAPA agreed to fly a bigger plane for the same pay and will soon agree to little or no raise in sec 6 negotiations.

Flyinguy are you that naive?

No sir, you are the naive one if you think SWAPA has any power over what the CEO of this airline does. If you think this went down this way because of the -800 deal, you must be living in WA or CO smokin' some of the good stuff!!!

No sir, you are the naive one if you think SWAPA has any power over what the CEO of this airline does. If you think this went down this way because of the -800 deal, you must be living in WA or CO smokin' some of the good stuff!!!
Oh excuse me, I must be wrong - that you agreed to fly a plane 30% bigger for no pay increase. So when my buddy transitions over how much more will he make on the 800? Anyway that is beside the point.

Why don't you tell me how this went down then flyingGuy? Pinnacle, Mesaba, Colgan, Delta, Northwest, Continental, United, Usairways, America West and many others all had independent Arbitrators. Why do you think SWA-AAI was so different? I still haven't heard a reasonable explanation that makes sense-other than the one I have given.

Do you really think AAI guys agreed to this without a gun to their collective head? If you want to thank someone for your huge seniority grab and the downgrading of 80% of our captains so you could have our slots please don't look to the AAI guys look to your CEO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back