• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Sec Filing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, that was the deciding factor for me. I've sat enough reserve in the last few years to hold me for awhile. :D

Me, too. 3 years on reserve at PCL, most days were 9 hours of ready reserve at the airport.

Like I said, this place is great in comparison...

Boeing doesn't want to deal with the 717, plus Midwest didn't want to firm the 25 option since we needed something with longer range, even though it will be sad I don't think we will see the 717 fly past the next 5 years at least here in the US. Boeing doesn't want to be bothered by the 717 support.

I think we'll be like Delta is with the MD-88's/90's...nobody wants the 717's and with us being basically the only carrier to fly them we might get decent deals as those leases come up for renewal. Although I heard they're like 18 year leases and the oldest 717 is 8.

I know support is tough but with most if not all of the 156 made still in service, where would 112+ airframes go assuming the midwest deal goes through? I doubt they'd just start scrapping them all...kinda like the CRJ's..not really a good second hand market for the 717...tons of CRJ's on the market in the next several years but who wants them....so little of the 717's made and again, who would want them...maybe a start up?!?

i guess the main concern is that there are no more engines for the 717. Parts will only get more expensive on an out of production engine.

I'd give the 717 ten+ years, especially if the merger/takover goes through. Too many good planes to sell, opt out on, etc. Support (ie., parts) will most likely remain available. Hope so!

Do you guys(FL pilots) talk to the mx guys a lot regarding that and other issues on the airplanes? I do every once in a while and they say the BR-715's have their issues at times....

One guy told me the 717's are good but have a lot of minor issues all the time but i guess an airplane averaging 7-8 cycles a day will have some stuff come up?!?

Crewdog, I think there are few 717 becoming available soon from foreign airlines.
JETSTAR airways a new low-fare operation launched by Qantas in May 2004 started replacing its 717 fleet with A320s. I believe they had between 12 and 15 717 aircraft. Those aircraft are currently looking for a new home. That may be the source of the additional 717s in the future. As far as the 717s going away because Boeing stopped making them, MD80s are being operated by American, Delta, Alaska, Midwest and Northwest operates old DC-9s. My point is many US carriers are flying large fleets of aircraft that are no longer in production. The 717 is a fairly new aircraft. Will definitely see around 15 more years in operation. That said, great airplane to fly.

I agree Eagle, the 717 is a great airplane to fly and also to upgrade on since its so pilot friendly, just don't understand how we used to fly the 9, lol, so spoiled now.

Latest resources

Back