Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess giving free travel to loyal customers via a frequent flyer program is not beneficial anymore? Free travel is just given to any bum that can collect cups or bottles or something?
I thnk the fact that we're giving some tickets away to people who (most likely) wouldn't be flying anyway is almost irrelevant compared to the national exposure the airline has received.

How is the AirTran QOL?
How long to hold a line?
Is the growth going to continue?
Best airplane for commuters?
Hiring Plans?

Thanks for any insight

-Depends on how you define QOL. Decent pay, decent trips, decent pilot group.
-As an FO it seems to be hovering around 2-4 months to hold a line.
-Who knows the answer to that question? It's been pretty consistent for some time at AirTran, but as you well know that means nothing for the future.
-The one parked at your domicile:) Seriously though, it doesn't matter.
-Again, depends on opportunities and economics.

800Dog said:
Probably a decent place to work. I have a friend who has been there for just under one year and is unhappy. He says the company treats him like sh**t. He seems to be in the minority. He is a former ASA pilot. My advice, go to Fedex or UPS. Good luck.

This is pretty unusual. As a 1 yr FO, he shouldn't be having any contact with the Company . . . . He would be a lineholder with a decent schedule . . . show up, do your trips, go home . . . . probably pretty decent line, too.

I'd like to hear exactly what his gripes are.

One of my refrences already left also. His reasons were the same for all airlines, will I have a job in 5 years? He got nervous about a new Delta while crappy for Delta pilots would emerge down the road with 100 seaters and low pay combined with frequent flier perks that could compete with AAI. Plus other LCC seem to be growing eventualy adding competition and the fact that US Airways did not go away raining on the dream of an abandoned lucrative east coast.

He was ex-ASA also only looking at AAI for the ease of living in ATL plus upgrading in less than 4 years making good$, however felt that what is good for the pilots will be bad for the bottom line unless your Southwest. His example was flying near gaurantee but raking in close to 100 hours of pay which would get the attention of the bean counters one day.
Another reason is that everybody and their mother wants to have an airline job. Once AAI drops the 121 pic requirement they will enough pilots available to fly for lower wages than what a new contract would desire.

Any way he is not an expert plus he got a night job - cargo. He discouraged me enough to wait out ASA and to see what our future holds with Skywest plus hurricane season is less than a year away.

Even if all of DAL's cost-cutting is attained (doubtful) our CASM will still be significantly lower, and the revenue picture is improving quite a bit already. Also, our upgrade is running 2.5 years right now, soon to be reduced to under 2 years, and with 21 aircraft coming in 2006, we will be hiring 250 pilots, and they are having no problem finding qualified candidates- I'm flying with them.

I had heard about a real doorknob from ASA that was really struggling to make it through . . . His story doesn't make sense. . . You sure your buddy made it through training?

Last edited:
800Dog said:
Probably a decent place to work. I have a friend who has been there for just under one year and is unhappy. He says the company treats him like sh**t. He seems to be in the minority. He is a former ASA pilot. My advice, go to Fedex or UPS. Good luck.

I would be happy to take his place!!!!

Theres always one who dosent like it here. thats ok..he can go. We dont need that kind of attitude here. Ive always said AIRTRAN isnt perfect..but what airline is? Ive flown with several ASA F/Os who LOVE it here and are glad to be improving there pay and QOL! A bit of advise..have a bad attitude? Dont apply.youll get bounced out. Believe me word gets around here fast. As some have said fly as little or as much as you want. This year 2006 with 22 plus airplanes arriving..we may actually need 300 to 350 pilots. Ive been here 5 years and love it. Best move Ive made. Enjoying a great schedule. Looks like 2 classes this month....

Sounds like they'll be getting a real prize.

If he is unhappy with labor/management relations at AAI, wait 'til he gets a taste of UPS.

How is the AirTran QOL?
QOL = Awesome! (Especially if you came from a regional). FO pay could come up a little bit.

How long to hold a line?

Right now its running about 2 months before you hold a line.

Is the growth going to continue?

My crystal ball says yes. I predict a profit for 2005.

Best airplane for commuters?

Hmmm... Tough call right now the 717 has been awesome for commuting. But the 737 is getting better and will improve consistantly as we take more of them. Our Chief Pilot also commutes if that says anything to you.

Hiring Plans?
Latest forecast I heard from HR was 280 in 2006 and that was about 3 weeks ago.

Whereever you go you are going to find someone who is not happy and a lot of the same things that you may hear Airtran pilots complain about (scheduling.... etc) you will hear at all airlines. We are in contract negotiations as well so that may affect things as well, but overall, I gave up 6 years seniority to come here and I couldnt be happier. In the end you have to do what is best for you and you will find that most will choose an airline with a domicile in their hometown.

AF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back