AirTran Pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

-9Capt

For obvious reasons, it's a good idea to print this out and carry it in your flight case to refer to as needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Reassignment, Down Line Draft and Junior Assignment

The following is a summary of the CBA provisions governing reassignment, down line draft and junior assignment.

Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the items below and follow along in the CBA, pages Section 5, Part III, page 5-3-8--10

All involuntary flying must fall under the guidelines of one of the following:

Reassignment

*A reassignment is defined as any change to a pilots schedule where legs of flying were removed and replaced with a new assignment which is reasonably expected to conclude within three hours of the original pairing. If the company does not schedule the pilot to end his trip within three hours of the original pairing, it will be considered a downline draft.

*It must return the pilot to his domicile no later than the same calendar day.

*Pilots must normally accept reassignments that extend outside the original duty period, however, if a pilot can not comply with a reassignment due to an extraordinary personal hardship, the pilot may decline the reassignment. A LPR will be required.

Downline Draft

*A down line draft is defined as the addition of a flight segment which continues as an existing pairing -or- is any change to a pilot’s schedule where legs of flying are removed and replaced with a new assignment which is expected to extend beyond three hours of the original trip pairing.

*Flights must be reasonably expected to depart within 2 hours of the pilots inbound arrival time.

*There may be no more than three flights (including any deadhead), the last of which must return the pilot to his domicile on the same calendar day, this does not preclude a pilot from voluntarily accepting a draft that flies into the next calendar day.

*A pilot may only be down line drafted once a month and a pilot may only be down line drafted for flights which are reasonably expected to depart within two hours of his inbound arrival time.

*A pilot who is downline drafted will be provided a hotel room at his request

*A pilot must normally accept downline drafts, however, the pilot may decline the assignment due to an extraordinary personal hardship, a LPR is required.

Junior Assignment

*A pilot is considered to be Junior Assigned when he is assigned to a flight or series of flights which occur on his day off.

*A pilot may only be junior assigned once a month, and a total of six times a calendar year.

*A pilot may only be junior assigned on the same calendar day as the notification.

*A pilot must be returned to domicile on the same calendar day as the junior assignment.

*A pilot may not be junior assigned to a multiple day trip.

*A pilot must normally accept a junior assignment, however, if the pilot is unable to comply due to an important personal circumstance, the pilot may decline the assignment. A LPR will be required.

Additional considerations

*The pilot will be pay protected for any removed flying resulting from scheduling illegalities due to a reassignment, downline draft or junior assignment.

*All reassignments, downline drafts or junior assignments may not result in a scheduled duty day exceeding 12 hours.

-----------------------------------------------

Check flica for the latest edoc regarding coverage.

Hence the reason for the above post.

Very important thing to keep in mind is that the company CAN NOT DRAFT YOU ON A DAY OFF IN ADVANCE OF THAT DAY.

If you have off on Christmas, they can not assign you a trip on the 24th. The trip has to be assigned on the say day it operates, which means you answered your phone.

Everybody have the contract compliance phone number? It should be programmed in your phone. This is a fine opportunity to stand up and be a man, (or woman).

Whoa, whoa, whoa,,,, wait a second there.

Did I read that e-doc correctly?

Mandatory working on your scheduled days off, assigned in inverse seniority order? Such assignments to be on your schedule by today at noon?

WTF? Looks like I picked the wrong time to be on probation!! :(

Whoa, whoa, whoa,,,, wait a second there.

Did I read that e-doc correctly?

Mandatory working on your scheduled days off, assigned in inverse seniority order? Such assignments to be on your schedule by today at noon?

WTF? Looks like I picked the wrong time to be on probation!! :(

Welcome to your "New World"

Absolutely ridiculous!!!

If it's an illegal assignment (which they are), politely decline and call contract compliance.

Already made Christmas plans? Sounds like you may have "an important personal circumstance" that would prohibit you from working on that day.
That provision is in the contract for a reason, don't allow yourself to be intimidated into not using it.

What's the problem... they do it to the rampers all the time from what I understand ? Heck... we're not special...

Get ready folks.. its gonna be a peaceful XMas.... Innovative and Dedicated...committed to delivering the best flying experience !!!

Doesn't sound like fun there. Good luck!

As a side note; do you get paid time and a half for JA etc?

President’s Update Dec 15th, 2006 Previous Updates

Special Presidents Update Friday, December 15, 2006
Regarding: Holiday Coverage Plan from Tabor and Klaus
The early junior assignment and doctor excuse that was put out in the Companys Holiday Coverage Plan yesterday is illegal. The open time over the Christmas Holidays was significant. NPA was encouraged that the Company took our advice by trying to get volunteers at premium pay and cutting the trips up to cover some of the Christmas open time. The incentive program was not enough to cover all the open time as of yesterday.
NPA will continue to try and resolve the Christmas open time issue. But for now, the Company is not willing to increase the premium pay for this one time event. We have been working with the Company, and in fact, they said they would let us know if they were planning anything other than the incentive program. They did not. They just notified us that they were putting out this letter. So, once again the company is deliberately and illegally defying our contract.
You need to know a couple of things.
• It is illegal to junior assign outside the day of.
• In spite of what the Holiday Coverage Plan implies, NPA does not condone AirTran to illegally give early junior assignments
• Doctors excuses are not provided for in the contract
• NPA has offered the Company relief for junior assignment of the day of, by allowing them to junior assign now but they must pay a premium. The premium is double time. This will give them the coverage they need and still be legal.
• NPA is actively exploring alternatives to stop the Company from disregarding the contract including injunctive relief.
We hope to have more information from the Company later today.
Captain Allen Philpot
President, National Pilots Association
[email protected]
404-559-7700 x 202

Doesn't sound like fun there. Good luck!

As a side note; do you get paid time and a half for JA etc?
Yeah, but time and a half at F/O pay isn't worth my Christmas Eve.

Hell, tripple time and a half isn't worth my Christmas Eve... I can and do make better money when I'm not at work.

And yes, my family rescheduled their Christmas plans around me having Christmas Eve off so I do have "other important plans".

Don't get me wrong, my experience here has still been 99% fun, but this crosses the line between "bending" the contract, and bending us "OVER" the contract...

Latest resources

Back