Multi-engine, fixed wing flight time - 1000 hours
121 PIC or military equivalent - 500 hours
An ATP certificate, or successful completion of the ATP written exam
Current First Class Medical certificate
Valid passport
Legally eligible for employment in the United States
Free of felony convictions within the most recent 10 years

Just Lovely

Anyone in the know able to comment on whether the new requirements apply to those of us in the stack who havn't been called? If they do, then Air Tran is foolishly depriving itself if hoardes of extraordinarily competent, experienced aviators who would help make their flightdecks a safer, more well-rounded work environment. To arbitrarily say that part 135, fractional and corporate pilots aren't up to snuff is shortsighted and discriminatory. Anyone care to intelligently defend this position? I've thought about a possible valid reason and cannot imagine one.

Pick the aviator most likely to be a good line pilot:

CL-65 Captain
G-IV Captain with 5 other type ratings
Fractional or 135 pilot with thousands of hours of jet PIC
T-38 FAIP with a B-1 follow on

Don't know? neither do I, but why would an operation deprive itself of the opportunity to interview and see?
I'll get off my soapbox now, but this really makes me angry. AirTran is one of two places I'd really like to work, and it's frustrating to see this. Se la vie.

Hello

I don't think that AirTran ever said corporate pilots were "not up to snuff," as you put it. I do think that whatever AirTran wants, they can get. Especially in todays environment.

I flew corp/charter for two years before listening to my airline buddies and moving to the commuters where I have flown for four years now. You CAN'T compare the two (same planet, different worlds...).

Anyway, can you convince AirTran (or all the professionals on this site) that you should be their employee without the Part 121 time? In my oponion, I think it all boils down to how bad you want the job. If AirTran said "Go to a commuter and get the Part 121 time..." What would you say? I'm just curious how bad you REALLY want to make AirTran your final career destination.

Fly Safe,

Uh Oh...

LJDRVR,

I agree with your comments. I feel anger and disappointment, as well. It is unthinkable that AirTran would be so shortsighted as to not want to draw it's candidates from the entire spectrum and therefore have a broad base of pilots, as other successful companies do. It also makes me wonder if whomever is responsible for this change has AirTran's best interests in mind. As a current AirTran pilot and long time Captain, check airman and pilot evaluator with other companies, I believe this is the absolute wrong descision, and I intend to let my feelings be known to all those at the hiring level.

I know what you are thinking

LJDRVR,

I would hire the pilot with the best attitude. I would not be interested in working for a company that would only hire Part 121 or military pilots to the exclusion of Part 135 and others. It is definitely discriminatory and just plain wrong. If they really mean that they would not accept you with Part 135 experience (which I am finding hard to believe), seek employment elsewhere. I guess they have right to do that since it becomes the basis of their pilot culture.

If you took two candidates with engineering degrees, +3000TT +2000 PIC turbine and one of them is an F-18 pilot while the other one is a Part 135 jet/turboprop pilot, I find it hard to see why I would think that the military pilot just by the nature of being a military pilot would be the best choice. I would decide based on the pilot's attitude and personality. To base it on the fact that one is military and the other one is not is silly. But, I am sure that there are people out there that would disagree and that's what makes this World so great!. Bottom line: go to Southwest. You'll be much better there...Trust me.

AirTran will be like that hot chick in High School that wouldn't give you the time of day and now you saw her last week about 200 pounds overweight with 7 screaming kids. [THIS IS A JOKE FELLOWS, RELAX] All kidding aside, one day you'll be sitting on a SWA 737, taxiing behind an AirTran bird and you'll remember how they thought you were not up it.
Best Wishes

Last edited:
Long post alert

Dear Uh Oh,

I think your post illuminates the crux of the issue here. All of us bring a certain amount of "bagage" with us; our past expereinces and descisions shape our perspective and opinions. Human nature here, nothing wrong with it at all. What really frustrates me however is when we as pilots start allowing this all too human trait to color our discourse concerning who is more qualified for a certain job. Statements such as: "military pilots are better than civilians", "Pilots with a 121 background make better pilots at the majors", "My jet's bigger than yours"...etc. are all examples of us allowing our biases and need to validate our choices affect our ability to look at an issue clearly and apply sound reasoning.

Strip away all the BS for a minute and try to see if you agree with this basic truth (In my opinion): If you can fly a jet or two(or turboprop) and have been flying around for several employers for a few years, you are capapble of doing the job. You are correct that its an employer's market right now. To obtain more qualified applicants, anyone can demand specific qualifications such as more total time, more PIC time, etc. REQUIRING A SPECIFIC BACKGROUND AT THE EXCLUSION OF OTHERS IS NOT ONE OF THESE THINGS. I'm not saying Air Tran can't do this, I'm saying they shouldn't. You say I can't compare 121 to 135? You are correct that it is a lot different. I do wear more hats than just pilot, and that does make for a different workday. You probably fly more legs on most days than I do. You certainly fly more. (I average 50-60 hours a month) I go to more varied destinations and fly more unusual missions. (I spent thursday night and friday morning going down to Panama City (not Florida) to get a heart patient, with a fuel stop in Cancun on the way back.) Regardless of these subtlties, understand something here. I can't speak for other 135 operators, but at my airline I can assure you this: During the conduct of a routine passenger flight, from the point where you and I say "Starting engines checklist please" to the point at which our partners says: "Shutdown checklist complete." There is NO appreciable difference between our cockpits except for ACARS usuage and a pushback procedure.

You suggest that if I was really dedicated to a potential employer that I'd go fly for a regional. I think you're missing the point. There is no way I'm going to give up being PIC and take a 40 to 60 thousand dollar pay cut unless it's a company I'd like to retire from.

You said I had to convince the folks on this board that I deserved a job without 121 time!? Maybe you should convince the hundreds of major airline pilots on this board without any 121 experience before their current employer that they somehow didn't deserve the job as much as their peers from the regionals. Sound absurd? IT IS. This is my point sir: Safety AND profitability are best served by haveing a group of aviators with all sorts of experiences. From bush flying to freight dogs, to instructors to corporate, to military, to chater to government, our jobs are most interesting and fun when we are afforded the opportunity to share a cockpit with people who have varied types of experiences. I'm glad you were able to go fly for the regionals. You're a more well-rounded pilot for it. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that because it was right for you that everyone should, and doing so somehow makes them better than those who have not. I hope we share a cockpit someday together. We'd BOTH learn something.

Warmest Regards,

Dan

Last edited:
Amen, my brother

LJDRVR,
Thankfully, many pilots think like flx757 as opposed to uh ho...

Some day in the near future you'll be seating across an interviewer that will ask you why should we hire you.? He'll like your answer better than Uh oh...'s who will say that he should be hired since he belongs to the Elite group.

"You CAN'T compare the two (same planet, different worlds...)"

Interesting... we have furloughed guys who don't agree with Uh oh's contention that Part 135 is a breeze or a joke.

Last edited:
sewer pipe, you said "Bottom line: go to Southwest. You'll be much better there...Trust me.
This is in a response against airtran because of a hiring prerequisite. It's seems odd to me since southwest requires you to buy a type rating in a 737 and also requires 1000 turbine PIC. Sooo, according to you it's ok for southwest, but AirTran is a big meanie because they want to see a certain amount of experience? You lose a lot of credibility with that kind of attitude.
LJDRVR: nobody said 121 background makes a better pilot at the majors except you. AirTran is simply looking for the pilots that fit the operation best. This helps in the training both for initial and the quick upgrade.
I believe there is a good reason for this change in mins as it narrows down the stack without EEOC hassles. I'm sorry if it kicks some of you out of the running, but there is also a good chance they will make exceptions for 135 PIC and the like. Bottom line, there are a lot of stupid requirements out there for jobs: jetblue:1000 hours in aircraft over 20,000lbs, SW type rating, etc that seem unfair and arbitrary to some, but are justifiable to someone else.
Life's a bitch but I deal with it...

1000 hour requirement

DCitrus9,

I was only refering to a requirement that excludes a group like military, Part 121 or Part 91 etc.. Experience like 1000 hour PIC turbine is not discriminatory since pilots from all backgrounds get that type of experience. Neither is a type rating. Since all you need is the money, dedication and time, but it does not favor someone over another. Am I missing something? How can you see it as the same issue? I do not want to work for Air Tran, but I think that the policy is wrong. By the way, can not think of one major airline with such a policy. FLX757 who works for AirTran also agrees with me.
I accept it, no sweat, I just don't agree with it. Do you think that is fair? if you do that's just great...

Last edited:
The flip side:

"we are looking for a Lear 45 pilot current and qualified Part 135 with a 8410...."

"Immediate availability for an HS 125 type rated PIC and SIC position...."

"King Air 200 Captain....requirements PIC 135 FlightSafety current..."

"need a captain who has 1500 hours PIC in Lears...this is a FAR 135 operation"

"Beechjet Captains and co-pilots needed....min. requirements
current 135 400 letter A...1 year part 135 experience"...time in a/c etc

and the lists could go on and on and on.

When I was furloughed from USAir....I couldnt get a job anywhere corporate or 135. I could go on but I think you get the point. It sucks both ways.

aj

Latest resources

Back