• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran MEC voted no

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are failing to realize that the Airtran didnt draw the lawn in the sand with relative seniority. They were willing to take a substantial hit. However that being said what Gary Kelly offered was ridiculous. Its not just about the money kids. Its about being to be home with the family or live where you want. Yes the money is going to be nice but as many people are saying it aint everything. As Cal and United merge I dont expect to see a massive benefit over one pilot group over the other. Yes CAL had alot of money in the bank, big growth, fast upgrades, nicer and newer aircraft. So what. I still expect relative seniority. Being selfish I hope I gain a few percentage points. What the Southwest guys are expecting is dillusional.

I just want to make sure I understand what your saying. You expect the number one pilot at AT to placed next to the number one pilot at SWA?

You don't have to believe me, you can call me childish, a bully an a$$ I don't care but I promise you an arbitrated list will never see the light of day because there are a lot of people here that will have no problem contributing our own money to tie this up in the legal system for years to come!

It's just business.

Thank God you're not running the airline (or any other business for that matter) You sound like Gordon Gecko. If you truly believe this then why don't 'you give GK a call and offer him some business tips.

You're statement is COMPLETELY emotional, irrational, and yes, I'll say it, CHILDISH. But if you really want to go there, I'm prepared to be patient and wait as long as necessary. Whether you like it or not, we're tied at the hip for better or worse.

"Can't we all just get along".

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I see that as less and less likely. I've heard some rather interesting stories about how AAI crews have recently interacted with ours. Already getting ugly out on the line.

Begging for a staple (from anyone) just prior to the SW announcement, and now wanting their seniority AND the SW contract as a kicker. That's a pretty huge 'Snake River Canyon' jump. Most people would be quick to agree.

RF

Here's our culture, we busted our balls to make a success out troubled airlines and took one sacrifice after another in a process.

The way I see it...

And now to SLI. For you guys to suggest that after 11 years of struggle and building this airline into what it has become my 20+% seniority worth nothing, is an insult. I am a mid to senior captain here who paid his dues every single block our of my time here, and you think that putting me behind a guy who did 2 tours wasting jet fuel in Iraq, sailed into SWA in '05 on wings of squadron buddies, and since enjoyed the worry-free career with fuel hedges and great management is fair?

We carried our management on our backs every leg we flew, by saving gas that they failed to properly hedge so that they can come out smelling like a flower, and sell us for their bonuses.

We've all paid our dues pal.... I could have gone to ATN in 2003. Instead I stayed at a regional making sub standard wages, living paycheck to paycheck raising a family in the Northeast... Making sacrifices to build the PIC time to be competitive to be hired at SWA.

Simply put - how many Airtran Pilots had applied to Southwest?? Why??

Last question: what would you have done after your 97% strike vote??

6000 pilots at SWA were happy to be put at the BOTTOM of the seniority list the day they got hired. We were all thankful to be number last. We told Gary during our new hire breakfast how happy each and every one of us were to be here... Your pilot group just told Gary to kiss off. That you're not happy to be here... That keeping every captain (even those that upgraded two months ago) in his/her seat was not good enough.. In this economy, you have told Gary your not happy to be part of the SWA family... All I can day at this point is good luck... I have friends at ATN and I really hope you all still get to make it here!

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I see that as less and less likely. I've heard some rather interesting stories about how AAI crews have recently interacted with ours. Already getting ugly out on the line.

Begging for a staple (from anyone) just prior to the SW announcement, and now wanting their seniority AND the SW contract as a kicker. That's a pretty huge 'Snake River Canyon' jump. Most people would be quick to agree.

RF

I've been the recipient of some of that "ill will" as well. Truly unfortunate, since we're all adults.

As far as the "begging for a staple" part. Yes there are those that have in the past, as well as those that had an app on file at SW. I can only speak for myself that I never applied. For no other reason than I was comfortable where I am. I've spoke of this at length on FI before, so no point in doing it again. That being said, so infer that all of us were "begging for a staple" is just flat wrong and misleading. No wonder why there is so much ill will out there.

Thank God you're not running the airline (or any other business for that matter) You sound like Gordon Gecko. If you truly believe this then why don't 'you give GK a call and offer him some business tips.

You're statement is COMPLETELY emotional, irrational, and yes, I'll say it, CHILDISH. But if you really want to go there, I'm prepared to be patient and wait as long as necessary. Whether you like it or not, we're tied at the hip for better or worse.

Once again this is not just me! However if you are willing to wait be my guest I will retire in 30 years then its all yours.

I just want to make sure I understand what your saying. You expect the number one pilot at AT to placed next to the number one pilot at SWA?

Listen. Should they try for it? Yes. I would. Remember that a little over 10 years ago Southwest was a ********************ty little airline. People were leaving there to go elsewhere including United. I know you guys like to think that you are the top dogs right now but it always was not the case. United was always the highest paid. They did really well for a long time. Then it fell apart. You never had crew meals or dry cleaning or exotic overnights etc. The crap you see in the movies. Dont get me wrong. Everyone know that Southwest has the best culture and is one of the best companies in the world to work for...for now. I hope that it last forever for you guys. The reality is that Airtran was a growing profitable airline. It wasnt in distress. They were working on a contract at the time. Fair is fair. As I said the Airtran pilots were willing to take a nice cut but Gary Kelly went too far. I think he should have stayed out of negotiations between the pilots. And for the rest of you that are cheering that a fellow union pilot might hit the street let me just tell you that you are a very distateful bunch.

Latest resources

Back