• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC Chair message.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To clarify, my position was only relating to all AT 737 pilots getting across the fence by 2015. That is on schedule. The balance of 717 pilots who are or are not going to make it by 2015, I don't know, nobody does as Delta needs to firm their order for the jets.

The training center most likely won't swing to 24/7, the cost alone would kill that option, plus MX on the sims is completed during those two night shift periods.

To clarify, my position was only relating to all AT 737 pilots getting across the fence by 2015. That is on schedule. The balance of 717 pilots who are or are not going to make it by 2015, I don't know, no

body does as Delta needs to firm their order for the jets.

The training center most likely won't swing to 24/7, the cost alone would kill that option, plus MX on the sims is completed during those two night shift periods.

Your position is wrong.
The res system will not be up until 2nd quater 2012, with up to 32 737 airframes flying the Intl schedule it is impossible to train all those crews in a couple of months.

With 1,600 AirTran pilots remaining to transition with FULL initial training for EVERYONE now, and it taking 54+ days on AVERAGE to get through, including IOE, even if you ramp-up the sim schedule during the night and run 72 a month through training (max reported output of the training center), you're looking at 2 FULL years from when they crank BACK up after New Year's, and that's going 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, holidays not included.

The first class in 2013 isn't even scheduled to start until early March, then you have holiday months in Nov/Dec they don't seem to run classes during, plus the fact that the 717's don't start going away until JUNE of 2013, so just mathematically-speaking, you can't even START the last class until somewhere near April or May of 2015, and that's doing the 365-days-per-year training thing. Longer if you don't have people working holidays.

There's just not a way to get everyone through by the end of 2014 with the scheduled sub-lease movement of the 717 to Delta and the delay in the 737 transitions for International Ops requirements. Not trying to be a killjoy about it, just throwing some cold, hard, real-world numbers for people to chew on so they can plan accordingly.

At this point I'm just about getting our pilots some recompense for the SIA being nothing like we voted on, using the Scope violation as an incentive if necessary, and moving down the road. Can't change the past; can only soften the impact and move into the future...

You are making a lot of assumptions here based on very little information. SWA hired and trained about 600 pilots in 2006 without using the sims late at night. The training center has added 3 sims since then and will likely be adding another soon. Training 800 per year for 2013 and 2014 is well within the realm of possibility. The company thinks very strategically and I'm sure there are multiple plans and contingencies.

With 1,600 AirTran pilots remaining to transition with FULL initial training for EVERYONE now, and it taking 54+ days on AVERAGE to get through, including IOE, even if you ramp-up the sim schedule during the night and run 72 a month through training (max reported output of the training center), you're looking at 2 FULL years from when they crank BACK up after New Year's, and that's going 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, holidays not included.

The first class in 2013 isn't even scheduled to start until early March, then you have holiday months in Nov/Dec they don't seem to run classes during, plus the fact that the 717's don't start going away until JUNE of 2013, so just mathematically-speaking, you can't even START the last class until somewhere near April or May of 2015, and that's doing the 365-days-per-year training thing. Longer if you don't have people working holidays.

There's just not a way to get everyone through by the end of 2014 with the scheduled sub-lease movement of the 717 to Delta and the delay in the 737 transitions for International Ops requirements. Not trying to be a killjoy about it, just throwing some cold, hard, real-world numbers for people to chew on so they can plan accordingly.

At this point I'm just about getting our pilots some recompense for the SIA being nothing like we voted on, using the Scope violation as an incentive if necessary, and moving down the road. Can't change the past; can only soften the impact and move into the future...

Huh...

What do you think all that means?

-fate

You are making a lot of assumptions here based on very little information. SWA hired and trained about 600 pilots in 2006 without using the sims late at night. The training center has added 3 sims since then and will likely be adding another soon. Training 800 per year for 2013 and 2014 is well within the realm of possibility. The company thinks very strategically and I'm sure there are multiple plans and contingencies.
You forget the company still has to recurrent train the existing pilots, as well as run nearly 3 times their peak of 2006 through full initial training.

The numbers I listed come from Southwest management regarding capacity to do recurrent training and train AirTran pilots coming over. 72 a month, that's the max THEY say they can handle; it's not a random number I pulled out of my F/O hat that collects dust on my office shelf. ;)

Your position is wrong.
The res system will not be up until 2nd quater 2012, with up to 32 737 airframes flying the Intl schedule it is impossible to train all those crews in a couple of months.
OK, lets stop the ball busting and feather ruffling. :D

SWA pilots have the training to do near international today, they finish off all international training by COB Aug 2013, so all AT international could be done by any SWA pilot as of end of Aug 2013.

Latest resources

Back