• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flaps30

AAI-gets ATL
JBLU gets JFK
AMR/Sothwest gets Dallas, oh wait they got those already.
Skybus get CVG,

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The CEO of AirTran Airways on Thursday said he favors airline industry consolidation because it should free up more gates at busy airports.
If Delta Air Lines Inc. were to merge with Northwest Airlines Corp., for example, or any other large carriers opted to merge, regulators likely will force the combined company to divest gates and traffic slots to allay antitrust concerns, Bob Fornaro, president and chief executive of AirTran Holdings Inc., said.

Doesn't mean FL will get more ATL gates. This may be the opportunity for WN to get some ATL gates without buying anyone. The airport authority might just welcome them in with open arms.

AAI-gets ATL
JBLU gets JFK
AMR/Sothwest gets Dallas, oh wait they got those already.
Skybus get CVG,

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The CEO of AirTran Airways on Thursday said he favors airline industry consolidation because it should free up more gates at busy airports.
If Delta Air Lines Inc. were to merge with Northwest Airlines Corp., for example, or any other large carriers opted to merge, regulators likely will force the combined company to divest gates and traffic slots to allay antitrust concerns, Bob Fornaro, president and chief executive of AirTran Holdings Inc., said.

The Airtran CEO probably wishes for a lot of things. There will be some gates available probably, the ones NWA uses currently in ATL. As far as gates or slots at other airports (LGA, DCA, etc)--there are NO overlapping routes at any of those airports between NWA and DL. None. We both don't fly from LGA to MCO, or FLL, etc. Nope. NWA flies only to their own respective hubs (MSP, DTW, MEM, IND, and maybe MKE). We don't go to any of those places, and I am sure a combined carrier would still like to fly to those same places from DCA or LGA. IF there were redundant flights (just like redundant gates in ATL), then they would be put up for grabs. But, there are not. The Airtran CEO can still be hopeful, though...

Bye Bye--General Lee

The Airtran CEO probably wishes for a lot of things. There will be some gates available probably, the ones NWA uses currently in ATL. As far as gates or slots at other airports (LGA, DCA, etc)--there are NO overlapping routes at any of those airports between NWA and DL. None. We both don't fly from LGA to MCO, or FLL, etc. Nope. NWA flies only to their own respective hubs (MSP, DTW, MEM, IND, and maybe MKE). We don't go to any of those places, and I am sure a combined carrier would still like to fly to those same places from DCA or LGA. IF there were redundant flights (just like redundant gates in ATL), then they would be put up for grabs. But, there are not. The Airtran CEO can still be hopeful, though...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Maybe I am missing something, but part of the whole merger thing would envolve some hub closures. I doubt NeW DeltA will keep all the hubs of IND, CVG, MEM or a possible MKE. I am not sure how CVG helps AirTran, but any pull back in the other hubs would mean less competion for AirTran. Furthermore, I would guess the the DoJ will ask for NeW DeltA to divest some assets, hence the AirTran CEO getting his checkbook out.

Whoknows?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Oh GL you are so weak minded and think on such a linear field........WHAT ABOUT ALL THE RJs......Let me guess you still don't see the big picture...well when the merger hits you will. A sad day for everyone under 47 years of age at Delta.

I can almost guarantee WN will get a few ATL gates if any become available even if it means outbidding FL for them.

I can almost guarantee WN will get a few ATL gates if any become available even if it means outbidding FL for them.

I would think MEM would make a lot more sense for them. NWA has a large hub there which will be turned into the likes of the PIT airport. WN would clean house there I'm thinking.

Maybe I am missing something, but part of the whole merger thing would envolve some hub closures. I doubt NeW DeltA will keep all the hubs of IND, CVG, MEM or a possible MKE. I am not sure how CVG helps AirTran, but any pull back in the other hubs would mean less competion for AirTran. Furthermore, I would guess the the DoJ will ask for NeW DeltA to divest some assets, hence the AirTran CEO getting his checkbook out.

Whoknows?

Divest what? There are no overlapping routes from those big airports---LGA/DCA. I can see Delta giving back gates in ATL that NWA uses now, but routes only flown by one of them would not be scaled back---local politicians in those particular cities (MSP, DTW, MEM, etc) want the continued service. Will Airtran start LGA to MEM or MSP service in return? Doubtful.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back