Airport security and you

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hurting world

50,000 people died in India, and another bunch in Bangladesh and America didn't give it a second thought. We loose 5,000 and make a big deal about it. What makes the 5,000 we lost more precious than the other countries. Think about it. Who knows how many lives have been lost as we vent our fury..... I am an American and proud of it, my heritage goes back to the 1600's when my relatives came over from England. The world doesn't understand why we think we are so special, so people died, it happens. I lost my brother-in-law to terrorism and my sister suffered for 5 years as "they" chased her. I feel for those that are suffering like you wouldn't believe, but our hurt is no diffrent from the rest of the world. We need to wake up and take what we have been blessed with and give it to help others, who have nothing......

Re: Eye on the Ball people!

PilotV said:
Just as you have been "violated", so have I through the security gates. There is one thing to remember folks, those people are trying their hardest to keep the skies safe, they just don't know any other way to do it! They are trying to do their job the best they can and finally taking it serious! I think we need to do the same.

My issue isn't with them personally. It's with the rules they try to follow. It is nothing but a show.

Is it really THAT bad?!?

Yes... it is.

If you want to complain so much about such a petty thing, (being 10 minutes late, being checked personally with the wand, having your bags checked, etc...) why don't you change your profession to something like .... say .....

A NY Firefighter, or a NY police officer!

In your opinion...

We need to be willing to do our part while things get sorted out here. Granted the FAA was behind the times and security checks were anything but secure, but they're trying. We need to be supportive!

But we must not gove up our freedom in the hopes of getting security. In doing so you will get neither.

Let's keep our eye on the big picture here...... Thousands of people died, can't we respect the memory of those that have given their lives by doing what we can to help prevent this from happening ever again?

Do you honestly believe that this "enhanced" security show will stop a dedicated terrorist? They know the profiles to avoid. They will get on if they want to. Harassing flight crews in uniform just to make a scene for the passengers isn't the answer.

Someone mentioned that checking a uniformed flight officer was seemingly ludicrous.... I STRONGLY disagree!! I think NOT checking uniformed flight personnel would be ludicrous! Don't you think that those that intend to do harm would figure that out and try to get through security in that fashion?!?

That would be me. I didn't say don't check us. I said don't haras us in front of passengers just to make a point. They are singling us out to make the pax say "well if the pilot's checked that well, then it must be really safe". I don't want to be a part of this sham.

I don't like getting 'strip searched' any more than the next guy, but I do think it's part of my civil duty.

"Civil duty"? This isn't a police state. Giving up your freedom is hardly patriotic.

Sorry if this seems somewhat confrontational, I just get tired of people forgetting the reason for all of this and getting so upset over such petty things when you consider the big picture.

So am I. But let's not play into their hands. I intend to fight for my rights as a citizen and also to keep our profession respectable.

I find your statement sad and disheartening. The greatest injustice we can do is to allow the terrorist attacks to take away our freedom.
The US Constitution expressly provides protection from unreasonable search and seizuure. If you don't want to stand up for your rights, that's your choice, but don't degrade me for standing up for mine.

Being strip search and touched in what used to be private areas is no one's patriotic duty and has nothing to do with "security." The War Against Terrorism has turned into a War Against Americans.

Re: Re: Eye on the Ball people!

ifly4food said:

I find your statement sad and disheartening. The greatest injustice we can do is to allow the terrorist attacks to take away our freedom.
The US Constitution expressly provides protection from unreasonable search and seizuure. If you don't want to stand up for your rights, that's your choice, but don't degrade me for standing up for mine.

I believe the point you make is very valid, though I also believe that in times of war unusual measures are sometimes required.

I worry when people say' "I'll stand up for America, but only to the point where my liberties come into quesiton."

You quote the constitutional right for the protection of unreasonable search and seizure and I respect that, I'll quote the Declaration of Independence, something I am certain your heritage greatly respects:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Within this quote you will read that all have the 'right' to Life. Then let me pose these questions;
Were the rights of those that are drafted by our military and forced to die for Your freedom violated?
Are we not seeking Liberty at the cost of Life and Happiness? Which is more important?

I believe you bring up many very good points in your response, and I value people's opinions. I agree that we can not allow our rights to be 'permanently removed'. Though I also feel that I am willing to bend a bit more than usual to try to help the effort here. Once again, just my opinion.

You ask if I believe if the 'enhanced' security will thwart a possible attack. Well, I just don't know. Although I will tell you that it is something, it is a step in the right direction, albeit somewhat haphazard, but it is something. In addition, are we offering up better ideas, or are we just the just the pissed off fan sitting in the comfort of their warm cushioned chair with a blanket and coffee on the sideline yelling at the players that they are 'doing it all wrong, and need to try harder'?
I believe we are dangerously close to the latter. It is always easier to strike down others ideas than to come up with your own and step out on the limb yourself.

To comment on your inferrence that my statement about 'Civil Duty' was indicative of a police state, I must say it was a misunderstanding. I was simply thinking patriotic duty.

You later went on to say that you want to fight for your rights as a civilian and to keep our profession respectable ...... Kudos, I applaud and respect that greatly.

As to the great tragedy in India, my heart still goes out to the more than 30,000 that died and the more than 180,000 affected by the quake. I agree that the world did not do enough for them. Although I do not believe that should make me feel bad for being so outraged about what has happened here. Also, India's tragedy was an act of nature, ours was malicious. I do believe this puts it in a little different light.

Once again, I value all opinions and thank you for being so truthful in your postings. I'm glad to see that people are so passionate about their beliefs.:)

God Bless and Safe Skies!

FlyToVegas said:
The War Against Terrorism has turned into a War Against Americans.

:confused:

Okay, I do think that is just slightly 'over-the-top'

Be real here.

Wasn't it Ben Franklin that said in so many words: 'He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither?'

S.

Freedom

I would rather take my chances and have my freedom then to loose my freedom and not have to take any chances. I think most
American's feel the same way they just havn't caught on---yet.

I completely agree that to truly have freedom, you'll always have to take some chances.

I do want to clarify one thing though, I don't necessarily see the willingness to help out the security effort as "Giving up my freedom" as much as allowing for some forgiveness in the short term.

Although I still mind greatly at the way these "searches" are being conducted, I might be able to tolerate it more if the person who is saying to me "Sir, I need to reach behind your belt buckle" were at least an american citizen. I hope it alarms anyone that reads this that 50% of our nations security screeners are not U.S. Citizens, and that 80% of the screeners at Dulles are not citizens. 80%!!!! and at an airport that is 2nd closest to our nations capital.

I don't mind non-citizens reaching behind my belt buckle...some of those foreign ladies are mighty easy on the eyes ;o)

Latest resources

Back