Airplane systems for dummies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

Does anyone know of a good book that covers general airplane systems for the non mechanically inclined?... sort of like a systems for dummies. I want to know more about systems but the popular texts like Jeppeson don't really go into detail and they often use terminology that is never explained.

Hi...

Here's a publication that I have found to be useful for students and novices alike.

Regards

Aircraft Systems

Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual

The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual by Brown and Holt, ISBN 0-8138-0023-4, explains systems and a lot more in plain English. Try looking for it on www.amazon.com.

I second the recommendation of The Turbine Pilots Flight Manual. It does a terrific job of breaking down all the major systems in an easy to read format. Well worth having in your library. Invaluable for interview/oral prep. Enjoy.

Also, you may have to break out of aviation texts and go to the library and look up basic principles.

Electrical systems - in small GA are usually DC (Direct Current) electric - find a primer on Electricity and go to the DC section. On bigger airplanes, the system is or may be AC.

Hydraulics - fluid is the same as plumbing for the most part. Pretty simple stuff, but again you can get a textbook on "hydraulic systems" which will give you background into compressibility of fluids, pistons, valves, etc.

Pitot/Static - is again roughly plumbing principles, but now you are using air pressure instead of fluid. Again, a basic text on hydraulics would probably cover some of the background items - especially when they talk about "easily compressible" fluids.

Flight controls - are cables and pulleys - most intro to science books will have a "mechanics" section where you could read about levers and fulcrums, cables and pulleys, etc.

Engine - it's a 4-cycle internal combustion gasoline air-cooled engine. Tons of books on small engines, automotive technology in the library. GA airplane engines are as simple as they come - think more like a lawn mower than a car.

Fuel - back to plumbing and hydraulics.

Retract gear - hydraulics

Brakes - hydraulics

Avionics - radio and electronics - gets really messy in here if you don't have a good strong science background for regular electricity first.

When reading about any systems - remember that the Jepp books are going to show a representative system - something basic and easy to understand. Your POH / Flight Manual should have a manufacturers description of the precise system in the airplane you are using (alas - not with very much detail). From there, you would need to go down to A&P books (general system overview) or Shop Manuals (airplane specific) to see more detail.

Ask a CFI about what is bothering you or talk to a shop guy. It's OK to admit that your not mechanically gifted. My accountant is the smartest money manager on the planet (IMO) - completely inept at figuring out which end of a screwdriver to hold. If you hear an answer that has you completely lost, tell them to explain it again in layman's terms. Eventually, you'll find a common ground.

Another help is the pain old dictionary - especially for words without explanation. For example, I had a student who was not mechanical. The word "manifold" had her completely frustrated. There was an exhaust manifold and there was a manifold on the pitot-static system.

Went to the dictionary:

Manifold - marked by diversity or variety. What???

OK - Manifold (3) - third description of the Noun - a pipe with several lateral oulets for connecting one pipe with others.

Voila! When I explained that the exhaust manifold took one pipe from each cylinder and combined the exhaust into one exhaust pipe - it fits. Then the static line was connected to a manifold so that the airspeed, altimeter and VSI all had static pressure info. Crazy word - lost on a non-mechanical person - seems second nature to someone who is mechanical.

I call this stuff LCD or lowest common denominator teaching. As an instructor, I need to find the area we have in common and then start teaching from there.

Hi...

The response by Tarp is exactly the reason I recommend the systems publication indicated. It explains areas in an easy to comprehend format. Perhaps once a good grasp of the basics has been achieved the other recommended manuals would be additionally helpful. Obviously, knowledge of basic theories and systems is paramount prior to attempting to learn advanced information.

Regards

Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual (the 3rd recommendation on this board. There's a reason why.)

I just looked through mine, and it's good for everything. The systems it's describing are for large jet aircraft, but these aircraft use the same sytems as any other airplane does, so it'll cover everything you want to know.

It might be a little weak in covering how a reciprocating engine (the kind of engine on cars, lawn-mower's, and small airplanes) works. It uses the idea that you know how one of these engines works, and then compares the stages of a re-cip to a turbine engine (a jet airplane engine). I'd bet you could not understand how either engine works, and then learn how a turbine engine works to figure out how the reciprocating engine works. The diagrams are really that user friendly. It illustrates everything with pictures and arrows showing where everything goes and why. Great book.

-Boo!

Thanks

For everyone who replied... thank you for the book titles. I checked them out on amizon.com and just made a purchase.

Latest resources

Back