Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wheelsup

Non-Registered User
My eventual goal is southwest, but I've heard that a lot of airnet guys go there after getting into the lear for a few years.

Is this true, and should I be basing my next decision on getting into airnet if southwest is where I want to reside?

thanks
wheelsup

PIC turbine

Wheelsup,

If Southwest is indeed your ultimate goal, I would recommend you study which flying jobs (Airnet included) will give you the opportunity to get to the left seat in the minimum amount of time. You should look into all Regionals, Corporate jobs, Charter companies, etc... I would wonder what the upgrade time is likely to be at Airnet and compare that to others.
I would not at your stage, limit myself to Airnet exclusively. There might be another option out there which would serve you as well or better. This is of course not to say that Airnet is not a viable choice but just keep your options open. Good luck to you and your dream of Southwest.

The only Airnet guys that I have met to date that went directly to SWA were a "few" Lear captains. I think you will have quite a few guys ahead of you waiting to move into the Lear although not sure how long of a process this will take once you get hired.. It may be wise to inquire during the interview since there is not nearly as much movement there as before. I would only assume that most all piston guys are looking to move into the Lear when the opportunity presents itself. If SWA is your goal then I would look at all other options that you will have available to you.

just my $.02

3 5 0

Your upgrade to Lear here is coming down fast. Various reasons including prop pilots putting in their one year and then moving to the regionals(makes no sense to me), and flight department changes which are scaring people away. Other than that, yes we do move on to SWA straight from the lear...however, many people do it from other jobs as well, not just Airnet. So like it has been said already, evaluate your options everywhere, not just here to see which will work best for you.

It took me 3 years to upgrade to the lear, however when i got hired it was 8 months average. Then wonderful 9/11 took that 8 months and turned it into 3 years. Now it is coming down fast. After 8 months in the lear i have had the oportunity to upgrade to capt. So my tenure has given me the same upgrade time as any regional (except Eagle that is:p ), however with the upgrade to right seat coming down fast, the time will be much shorter than mine, and will almost definately be shorter than any regional. Also, don't forget you will be flying 100+ hours a month here, so that PIC time comes quick...for example last month i did 120 hrs...this month i am on track for 130.

Good luck in any decision you make...just make sure it is the right one for you.

Try Ameriflight. They are looking to hire captains off the street for their metroliners. You can get your 1000 pretty quick if you are willing to take a less desireable location in exchange for high flight time runs.

Ameriflight

Keep in mind you have to have a type rating and time in type to get hired into the Metro. However, upgrade to the 99 (PIC turbine) is a year or less if you're willing and able to move. Not sure how the pay compares to Airnet, either way you're not gonna be rich any time soon.

I flew for Airnet when it was still known as US Check. It was a great company and the flying was fun. When I was there it was three years to the Lear. Captain in the Lear came years later. Hence my move to the regionals where I made captain in a year. What you're looking for is PIC turbine time. That is what everyone is looking for e.g. SWA, FedEx, JetBlue ect. Good luck.

SDCFI said:
Keep in mind you have to have a type rating and time in type to get hired into the Metro.

not necessarily true...2500 total, 1000 multi and 750 turbine can get you there without the type ;)

Listen to these guys on the quick as possible turbine PIC. Of course you will not be rich quick with the least desireable base but you will in the long run. Look at the final pay for some of the majors that require PIC! the longer you stay there the better the retirement! If you have no other responsibilties like family or whatever, get the PIC!

In my case I left one of those less desireable bases/operations for a solid regional almost 5 years ago and I still cannot hold captain. My cohorts that stayed at the less desireable place have the PIC time and have choices now, Although most have been furloughed since, at least they have choices with a number. I don't really know which is better: Furloughed with choices, or still have a job with no PIC and no choices and furlough fodder below.

bottom line, get your PIC time if you can without stressing out your family and finances.

good luck!

Doh!

wingnutt said:
not necessarily true...2500 total, 1000 multi and 750 turbine can get you there without the type ;)

My bad, shoulda read the whole thing...preference given to those current, qualified and typed. Don't know about the 1900 but the reason we're so short of Metro folks is that no one seems to be able to make it through training. It's pretty thorough to say the least. If you want some quality turbine PIC it's hard to beat 6 hours a day single pilot in the Metro. If you can handle that you can handle anything.

Latest resources

Back