Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airline mission

The question of all those with families----
Can I start a flying career without having to move the family?
I'm close to having enough time, and I'm agonizing over the possibility of moving the family. The wife's got her dream job, kid's are in good situations here, etc.

How many pilots are commuting to their bases in these airlines?
Can I possibly make this thing work without moving?

Tailwinds

With Airnet, yes, we have JS agreements with most of the other airlines. I did it for awhile, and i know many who do or have also. Just remember though, you must also get a place to live at your base if you are commuting... not so easy on first year pay with a family(at any of those you listed). It is do-able though, don't let something like commuting stand in your way of your dreams... your family will do that for you when you are gone all of the time ;)

Flight Express unfortunately has no Jumpseating agreements however if you have checked out our bases we are well dispersed arounf the Southeast and Midwest US. There has also been a lot of movement in the company recently, so to be able to bid back closer to home might not be too far off in the future, that is if you dont get where you want to be. At least we have no Location lock like other companies do. you can bid away from your initial base on day 1. Good Luck and hopefully something will come up for you

yeah our new base lock suck$, i would have hated it if i had to do it. But we can still JS so it makes it a little easier.

Ever had a problem jumpseating?

I have not applied to Airnet specifically due to the family thing. My wife is active duty military and we move a lot. I had a good friend (ironically, I took him for his first gen av ride long ago) who worked there in the late 90's and made it into the Lear. He had nothing but positive things to say about the people, the op, and the equipment.

For me, the geography thing just kept on getting in the way. So the jump seating is not that bad?

Airnet Jumpseat

I jumpseat usually 2 or 3 weekends out of a month and usually don't have too much of a problem. We have agreements with most airlines except the ones formerly known as the "Big Three" (United, American, and Delta). Also, I guess Contintental is not on our list, but most other ones are.

Its really no different than non-rev travel any where else, its a royal pain in the butt, but it is free, so you can't complain. It really depends where you want to go. I wouldn't try commuting from the East coast to the West coast, most would be a two leg commute. Also, this time of year, commuting from just about anywhere to the southwest is tough, unless you can use SWA.

Also, remember that you may need a car at your base. Remember, don't let yourself get stuck at home going to work, Airnet doesnt have a commuter policy.

Great info

Great responses...thanks.
My life's dream has been to fly for a living. You guys that do it and gripe take a lot for granted. It's really hell going from one professional job to another, wishing all day long you were in the soup instead, breaking out at minimums and knowing you cheated death one more time. I was about ready to make the move when 9/11 hit. Then over the last 6 months or so, I've been about ready to give in to a boring desk job that I hate, just to do the responsible thing. You know, paying the bills.....those things that get in the way of everything important.

We were ready to move for my dream 2 or 3 years ago. Now though, I just don't think I can move the family. BUT, if I could make the commute work, we might ALL be able to have what we want.

More specifically, we live in northeast Texas, so I'd be commuting out of Dallas. I've got a buddy at Commutair I've talked with about commuting there. Seems like an option, but I could expect 7 days home/month while jr., and up to 12 days/month sr. Don't know about MRA's or Mid-Atlantic's jumpseat agreements, and if they might be an option for me. Mike Bates at MRA didn't offer any encouragement about commuting.

I'm to the point now to where I have to make a no-turning-back, lifetime decision. Go for it, or wish I had....until I'm 80+, or whenever I forget what my name is. Price to pay (time away from family, crappy income), or price to pay (let the LIFETIME dream that was in my hands, and that I've invested many thousands of dollars to get just go away).

Some of you guys (like starchkr) I've been reading posts from for a long time, who really know the pro's and con's of what I'm looking at and can give me more help in making this big decision, I would REALLY appreciate more indepth info from. Please feel free to PM me.

This flying thing. It really is an addiction. If you've never flown, don't start. Just say no!

Don't let the ice get too thick.

For what it's worth.
Dont move. If the old lady likes her job and makes good $$ then you will need two things: one, her to be happy while your gone. Because you wont be at home as much even if you move. Two. you'll need her to make the $$, because you'll need it. Tough it out and I think in the very long run it will pay off. Another thing to think about is, do you have relative near you now, you sure wont after the move.

same boat

airline mission, check your private messages. i'm looking at a similar situation - ready to leave the desk world behind, have a wife and child at home, live in northeast texas...

have you hunted around your area? I have a buddy flying a bonanza cargo in dallas, as well as knew a guy who flew film in a 402 out of the aera. There are enough airports and air traffic in the area that you might be able to find what you are looking for and not even have to move

Latest resources

Back