Airline stocks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

So does anyone else feel maybe now is the time to start grabbing up some airline stocks? I would never invest in airlines for the long term....but for capital gains, things seem like they might be on the rise unless something major happens to the price of fuel. Aren't a lot of airlines expecting to actually post profits in Q2? Thoughts?

lol....well, I know anything could go wrong if fuel goes up.....but I've been looking at the various airline stocks on yahoo finance...most analysts are recommending buys....growth estimates going into next year are through the roof.... not that I have much money....I work in aviation after all....but it would be a neat little experiment to see what happens.

Experiment with the Dow or S&P index fund instead.

And don't call buying airline stocks "investing"...its "trading".

Nobody invests in airlines.

If you had bought 100 shares of UAUA (United) on June 30, 2009 at $3.19/share, ($319), right now it would be worth $2380.00 ($23.80/share).

714% return. This is a best case scenario, but if you got in when it was down low, you'd be looking pretty good right now.

Although, if you're going on a hunch that any one of these airline stocks will do the same, it's more "speculating" than "investing."

Didn't Warren Buffett say he should hire someone to slap him every time he considers buying airline stocks?

Didn't Warren Buffett say he should hire someone to slap him every time he considers buying airline stocks?

He said he has a 800 number he calls whenever he thinks about it so they can help him with his disorder, like alcoholics anonymous .

Alaska was around $12 a share less than 2 years ago and it pushing $54 a share today. Not a bad roi.

Yea and betting it all on 0 is a good decision in hindsight if you win. Looking forward (which is what investing is), the airline industry as a whole is a ridiculously stupid investment compared to other industries in the country.

If you want a return on capital, dont buy airlines. If you want to gamble, it's perfect.

Latest resources

Back