Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avratdwc

Hey All,

When I first started this venture of becoming a pilot back when I was 18, the airlines where the place to be if you hit the hiring time just rite. I was always told that if you get in at the rite time you will be able to weather anything that comes along in the way of furloughs, etc. My ? is, how long do these cycles last of hiring, airline makes big bucks, everyone living happy as a clam, labor wars start between everyone, contracts fall through, economy takes a crap and then people are laid off?

I have been flying charter and corporate for 6 years now. I have a great job and am very happy, although I still have that airline itch in me. What are your thoughts on the likely hood of being able to pull a 20 yr. career now a days. I just turned 26 if that makes any difference.

Looking forward to insight and varied thoughts.

regards,

Avrat

Go back to school.

It ain't over yet. Lots more going to happen in the next couple of years, and it ain't gonna be all that good.

I have been flying charter and corporate for 6 years now. I have a great job and am very happy, although I still have that airline itch in me. What are your thoughts on the likely hood of being able to pull a 20 yr. career now a days. I just turned 26 if that makes any difference.

Although I agree with Hal that "It ain't over yet," and there are plenty of bad things that can and probably will happen in the next few years for the airlines (including where I work), that doesn't mean it's a horrible career path. You're young enough that you may be able to survive a furlough (like I did) somewhere in there and still have a decent career. There are some half way decent airline jobs out there, and who knows, some of them may be better than the career path you are on. Only you can figure that out.

Since you've been a corporate pilot for some time, you may be able to go back there after "trying" the airlines, as long as you can stay networked on that side of the pilot world. From what I've noticed, the airline furloughees that have the hardest time getting into business aviation are the ones that were never corporate pilots much to begin with... or burned bridges on their way out.

Just be careful, though, since it sounds like you've got a good job... so BE PICKY. Don't just accept any airline job, only the ones that are a step up for your current situation. And try not to piss off your current employers if you leave!

Also, realize that whatever you do, even doing nothing, it's a gamble, and some unexpected things will suck about your decision.

Good luck!

Alcatraz,

Thanks so much for the great info and insight. I really appreciate it. The one thing that I have learned from seeing other peoples mistakes is to never burn your bridges. I will be picky, trust me.

To all the others I will be going back to school very shortly. Had to get over the hump of buying my first house. The ATP is in progress, was not old enough when I got typed and my last Citation re-current the owner would not pay 6K for me to get the ATP while I was in the sim. Any suggestions for the ATP would be appreciated before I throw money at All ATP's

Thanks again for the reply's.

Avrat

Hey All,

When I first started this venture of becoming a pilot back when I was 18, the airlines where the place to be if you hit the hiring time just rite. I was always told that if you get in at the rite time you will be able to weather anything that comes along in the way of furloughs, etc. My ? is, how long do these cycles last of hiring, airline makes big bucks, everyone living happy as a clam, labor wars start between everyone, contracts fall through, economy takes a crap and then people are laid off?

Looking forward to insight and varied thoughts.

regards,

Avrat

How long do the "good" times last...how fast do you blink...?

You don't usually need an ATP, just get the written. I would go get your 4 year though, it's only going to get harder to get it.

There seems to historically be a downturn about every ten years. Early 80's, early 90's sucked, Early 2000's. This latest hiring spree is just now starting to get going. I would hustle to get to your major airline before we start going the other way. Downturn 2011-2012? That would be when it should happen on average.

Good luck

Most of the guys in the industry that earn more than $200,000 per year know how to spell the word "right".

Just a thought about your abilities compared with your career choices.

Latest resources

Back