Aircraft has slid off runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
macfly said:
Would the captain have gotten in trouble in they used their alternate? From the looks of it, i'd say getthereistis?

111 total time and 20/20 hindsight. What a great combination.

There certainly wasn't much margin for error. Problem is, it was legal and it's a hard call to be the first one to say "No!". Without the benefit of hindsight, it's very difficult to find the line with okay and no go.

I don't know why it put smiley faces in my post above. Nothing is meant or implied by it on my part.

Nevermind. I fixed it.

Last edited:
If it is determined that the pilots were right on as far as speed and altitude control go, will they be terminated? Seems like everyone else was getting in, perhaps they ended up with bad luck due to poor braking that developed in between previous arrivals?

If they were not stabalized like the guys in the Burbank overrun, I could understand kicking them to the curb, but what about a situation like this?

Any ideas?

ultrarunner said:
Ahh, but they had "in flight visibility".....

The METAR before the accident had more than enough RVR for the approach. The METAR after the accident was below minimums. Probably right about mins when they shot the approach.

Of course, nothing to indicate that visibility was a factor. They found the runway. Problem seems to have been stopping the airplane on the 5826' of available snow-covered runway. Probably only 4300-4800 feet from touchdown. That would be touch on a clear day if the runway condition was worse than had been reported to the crew.

citabriapilot said:
If it is determined that the pilots were right on as far as speed and altitude control go, will they be terminated? Seems like everyone else was getting in, perhaps they ended up with bad luck due to poor braking that developed in between previous arrivals?

If they were not stabalized like the guys in the Burbank overrun, I could understand kicking them to the curb, but what about a situation like this?

Any ideas?
I would worry less about being terminated by SWA and more about getting prosecuted by the State of Illinois in the Cook County courthouse.

minitour said:
So if midfield was 3000 but Touchdown was 4000 they were good to go?

No midfield RVR on a 6500' runway. Touchdown is controlling, rollout is advisory.

The 3000 RVR was 20 minutes after the accident. 15 minutes before the accident the RVR was above mins.

LJ-ABX said:
No midfield RVR on a 6500' runway. Touchdown is controlling, rollout is advisory.

Gotcha....sorry again for the stupid questions...the Jepp checklist is getting to me.

I owe ya a beer!

-mini

FN FAL said:
I would worry less about being terminated by SWA and more about getting prosecuted by the State of Illinois in the Cook County courthouse.

Yep, no doubt about it. The flight crew will almost certaily be defending themselves in a Wrongful Death Civil trial as well as a possible criminal trial. Although the latter is less likely, the former will happen.

ultrarunner said:
Yep, no doubt about it. The flight crew will almost certaily be defending themselves in a Wrongful Death Civil trial as well as a possible criminal trial. Although the latter is less likely, the former will happen.
Why is the LATTER less likely? The latter is usually the forerunner to a wrongful death suit.

Latest resources

Back