Air Wisconsin arbitration...?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AWACoff

Heard a rumor down here that the MEC has sold out the pilots who have left the property. Any truth to this? Considering the MEC's stance has consistently been that every pilot who has been affected by this will recieve their fair share of the remedy, I am leary of the rumor. I've got a funny feeling, though, that the senior guys still on property are going to promise the junior guys on property money. In return, the senior guys still on property will get a bigger slice of the pie by neglecting to include all of the guys who have left the company. Somebody please tell me I'm paranoid and that the union isn't going to screw a bunch of guys just to get a bigger share for themselves...

Relax, there hasn't even been a ruling on any monetary awards yet. All the arbitrator has decided so far is that we will not be getting the pre-conssionary contract back. Shortly before that was announced, there was a rumor posted on our bitch board about only people hired before the consessionary contract was signed and are still on property will get any money. I don't know where that came from, but the arbitrator threw the money part back at the union and company to see if we can agree on something w/in 45 days, which we haven't. At the end of 45 days the arbitrator will make his own decision on money owed to the pilots. It's not yet clear who will decide who is owed money or how the money is split up. So I wouldn't get too excited or worked up just yet.

Some union reps met with the Company to discuss a settlement, the company low-balled it, the union said it wasn't enough, company refused to budge, and now there are no more negotiations. The union said arbitrator will decide this. I think you have more to worry about the arbitrator deciding this than the union negotiating something.

Heard a rumor down here that the MEC has sold out the pilots who have left the property....
That is usually the case with these kinds of payouts. Once you leave the property, all rights are surrendered. Has nothing to do with the MEC, ALPA or unions. Just a fact of life.

Last edited:
Actually, it's the other way around. Carl runs that show and is only out for himself. Steve is the lone voice of reason (I can't believe I said that). He is the only person challenging the status quo. At least the arbitrator didn't lie to the pilot group in 2003 and then sell the RJ drivers down the river. If you think the old guard won't sell you down the river to help secure their retirement (AGAIN), you have your eyes closed to reality.

ILLINI,

I am pretty sure there is no question about who is owed money. The union has publicly said EVERY pilot affected will recieve an equitable share. The real question is will the MEC decide to unjustly enrich the senior pilots. Here's the take. There is a finite amount of money to divide amongst a group. Not everyone in the group will recieve the same amount since it will be based on your income level and amount of time affected by the concessionary contract. ie The more senior you are, the more money you get. Now if you exclude a portion of that group, everybody left gets a higher percentage. BUT, the senior guys will get a much larger total amount. There is a huge conflict of interest and history has shown that the senior guys (146) will lie, cheat, and steal to get theirs. Nobody but Steve dares challenge the "all knowing" Carl. I worry that Carl will put lipstick on another pig and the pilot group will buy it as another painted lady.

Some union reps met with the Company to discuss a settlement, the company low-balled it, the union said it wasn't enough, company refused to budge, and now there are no more negotiations. The union said arbitrator will decide this. I think you have more to worry about the arbitrator deciding this than the union negotiating something.

Latest resources

Back