Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tref

Hi!

Just wondering if Air Tran is requiring new hires to resign their old seniority numbers? Can anyone who's just started confirm the latest policy?

Thanks

I can confirm that Air Tran does require new hires to resign their seniority at former airlines. You fill out a standard resignation letter and they mail it to your previous employer.

I have four friends I am trying to get in here . . . I would hate to think that one of them would not get hired so that we could hire someone who was just planning to be here on a "temporary basis" until their first job calls them back.

After all, you're asking us to spend $25,000. to train you, and another $25,000. to upgrade you, when you plan to return somewhere else when they want you back?

Does that make sense to you?

Wow, can't even ask a simple question without pi$$ing someone off.

TW, does this mean that your four friends can never ever leave Air Tran if they get hired there? I understand that some have left Air Tran for Jet Blue and Southwest soon after being hired. At least you'd know that I would stick around for a few years. If you're worried about money, then why not just have a training contract instead?

P.S. DC10, thanks for the answer.

Wonder what will happen in a few years when UAL,DAL and AA start hiring again, and some of the furloughed guys/gals are sitting on the hiring boards looking at an Airtran applicant?

jetBlue does not ask for your UAL/DAL/AA or whatever number..

Airtran chooses to require you to resign from your previous employer, that's fine, that's the choice Airtran has made. Too bad some very HIGHLY qualified applicants probably will not even apply. Why not PAY pilots what they are worth and MAKE the job a place where a UAL/DAL/AA guy/gal would WANT to not go back to their previous employer?

Just remember what goes around comes around.

Extra300S said:
Why not PAY pilots what they are worth and MAKE the job a place where a UAL/DAL/AA guy/gal would WANT to not go back to their previous employer?

Just remember what goes around comes around.

:rolleyes: Whatever. You sure seem to be assuming an awful lot. That anyone at AirTran would be wanting to leave for UAL/DAL or AA. I can name more than a few that are regretting that mistake right now. I doubt there will be too many lining up to repeat it.

As far as the pay issue goes, who knows what the pay at those companies will look like when the cuts and concessions are complete. Or if UAL will survive at all. $100+ per hour in my third year, and $150+ in my 10th year to work for a profitable company works for me. If that's beneath your standards, so be it. We'll continue to work to improve our pay and work rules with each contract, while recognizing what it takes to compete in this industry and keep our company growing and profitable.

I wonder if I showed up at UAL/DAL/AA would they welcome me aboard and allow me to keep MY seniority number?? Didn't think so.

As far as what goes around comes around....well, it has come around. And I'm quite happy with the results. If you don't like the rules, no one is requiring you to play. Hope you are happy doing what you are doing. AirTran seems to be doing ok without you and your HIGHLY qualified attitude. By the way, the US Airways, UAL and AA pilots that have come to AirTran seem to be doing ok, as well.

And I've spent enough energy and bandwidth on you, so I won't be biting at any more bait you may throw into the water.

Just posting another point of view buddy!

I am glad you are happy with Airtran. Good luck with YOUR $150 an hour rate when YOUR managment comes after YOU for a pay concession.

Don't think it won't happen. UAL is developing "Starfish" DAL is well under way with "Song" and AA is starting to develop their own "low-cost" operation.

Was it not Valuejet who required you to pay $10,000? I have friends who work for Airtran, so calm down I aint throwing stones, but you seem to GLOAT about the fact that DAL/AA/UAL/USair have guys on the street.

We are all free to have an opinion

flx757 said:
:
I wonder if I showed up at UAL/DAL/AA would they welcome me aboard and allow me to keep MY seniority number?? Didn't think so.

Actually, they would. I was never asked to resign my previous seniority number when I came to Delta.

I don't think that they have had too many problems in the past with people leaving for other carriers.

As an aside, during Delta's last furlough, FedEx was hiring our guys and not making them resign their numbers. Their feeling was that the furloughees would be treated so well, they would not want to return when recalled. In many cases, they were right.

I think Fed-Ex is doing the right thing, who would want to go back, unless you are very senior at the first place, but then you wouldn't be on the street.

Extra300s

Hey Extra300s, do you know why the Majors have "song", "starfish", and AA's version of a low cost carrier, because they can get shmucks to buy off on the concept of getting paid crap to fly the same planes you do!

So busting on the guy from Airtran is pointless, they'll get paid no more to go to a major if your union allows, excuse me, my union allows, these "let's pay these shmucks so little they'll think about becoming stay at home moms" airlines.

Please disregard all previous comments if you work for FedEx or UPS...Thanks, cvgphil

Latest resources

Back