Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BornAgainPagan

No Gods. No Masters.
If you have flown for, or are flying for Air Serv, please reply with a summary of what is what like. Living conditions in the various areas, training, maintenance, compensation, days off, personal fulfillment etc..

http://www.airserv.org/airservhome.html

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a friend that used to fly there in West Africa. Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast. Didn't sound like a very safe place to fly. Out side of flying was not any better. Machine guns in your face, demanding passports and papers,etc. I think Taylor was in power then too.

Don't remember what the pay was, but it was pretty low for the risk. She did get to meet Angelina Jolie a few times though :)

Air Serv

Everyone,
I just got back from Sudan flying for the UN, I was there the month of Feb/March. I had a lot of guys that used to work for me that went with Air Serv, they loved it. I think that everyone should give back to the world the gift that they have been given, in Africa aviation is the only way to get from point a to point b unless you love 4 wheeeling for days at a time.(believe me it gets old after about 3 hours) With the summer time rains coming all road travel stops and you just have to wait for dry season. Air Serv as an organization is excellent. It derived from Mission Aviation Fellowship, a bunch of Christain guys that wanted to do more. To fly for MAF you had to be a born again Christain and sign a detailed docturnal statement. At Air Serv things are diffrent, they are a humanitarin organization. Air Serv just wants pilots that have a heart for humanity and they leave the doctrinal statement out of it. It is run by Chirstians for the most part and they have high standards, but those standards will run all the way through the organization. That means good maint. etc, which is essential to Africa operation, or operations in any other part of the world. They pay isn't that great but when you are in a 4th world country what are you going to spend it on. If I didn't have a family I would be there right now, more than likely with AirServ. If you go enjoy the flying and the work, don't be disallusioned Sp by the people you fly or what you are doing. The organization gets donations but it also is run like a Part 135 operations so operating revenue is generated by the aircraft. I would highly recommend this avenue for anyone that wants a lifetime experience. BTW think 2 to 3 years max of this type of flying, it will burn you out.

Dave

This is something I contemplated doing. I had an offer to fly left seat in the Twotter a few years ago. Ended up turing it down. Something I regret.
The people I met loved the work and what they were doing. I think that is the important part, you need to really want to go out and try to help people.

Anyone out there who knows anyone flying with Air Serv that can give me a clue what the interview is like and the kind of hours i could expect. Thanks in advance.

Latest resources

Back