• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry the actual numbers just don't back up your anecdotes. I guess 91% white male was just not good enough for you.

I guess 500 = 7000 in your world too........

What % of minorities that applied got turned down?

What was that ratio compared to white males?

I'll bet the acceptance rate for them was much higher than 91%. In my anecdotal world, the ones that didn't get hired was one in 30 or so.

Last edited:
I have flown with 2 females in ten years.

What's wrong with you guys? I want to fly with a girl.

Just for the record, the old white men in the Navy hated female pilots and made it well known. Some were instructors, so how could they give them a fair shake?

Last edited:
"Some Air Force pilots are getting 800 flying hours before they get transferred to fly unmanned vehicles, Calkins said.

"It's very hard for guys to meet that 1,000-hour mark in one tour," he said.

For the pilots who do have enough time under their belts, their military service is a huge benefit with Southwest, Calkins said. Airmen have college degrees that are "hugely desired" and years of solid leadership experience that bodes well for them moving from co-pilot to pilot."

Is the 45% skewed by air tran?

Rocky is a stand up guy- but he's also an F15 pilot. Who happens to be manager of hiring when SWA's biggest problem pilots are f15 drivers.

The above paragraph screams out for a little levity. We ought not take pilots with less than 1000TPIC- but I don't see how that shouldn't be flexible.

Honestly, if pilots are getting stuck at 500-900 TPIC in a fighter before taking on drones or other duties, why is THAT DQing them. It's to create an illusion of equality when backgrounds are not equal. That extra few hundred hours of F-teen isn't going to make them better airline pilots- I'd rather have a fighter pilot be fully qualified for the job after 500 TPIC knowing that it's other military factors that makes the experience worthwhile - and go get some FO time in 121 ops to make up for every hour of TPIC they're missing.

Seriously, how much stronger would an applicant be with 500 TPIC in Air Force fighters and 1000 hours of 121 time, than the guy who spends another 5 years of Air Force only trying to get to that magical 1000 turbine PIC mark?

I have flown with 2 females in ten years.

What's wrong with you guys? I want to fly with a girl.

It wasn't for lack of trying on the part of the airlines, as females have been getting preferential treatment in the hiring process for roughly 2 decades.

Could it be that there's just not that many females that are interested in being a pilot?

Just for the record, the old white men in the Navy hated female pilots and made it well known. Some were instructors, so how could they give them a fair shake?

That is 100% wrong and should not be tolerated.

Equal is equal.

Could it be that there's just not that many females that are interested in being a pilot?

And why would that be? When the white male pilot community has been so welcoming and accepting. You highlight the contradictions in your own posts. Nice going.

And why would that be?

When the white male pilot community has been so welcoming and accepting.

Ahh, so it's the old "white devil's" fault that certain people don't choose certain professions....... This might've been the case 40+ years ago, but certainly not today.

Please.

You highlight the contradictions in your own posts. Nice going.

What contradictions have I highlighted?

I've maintained that discrimination is wrong, regardless of who's being discriminated against.

You've been arguing against me for 2 days now, so you obviously endorse and agree with discriminatory hiring, IE: people getting hired, or not, solely based on their race or sex while bypassing exponentially more qualified people who are the "wrong" race or color.

How does it feel to be a racist/sexist in this day and age? ;)

Ahh, so it's the old "white devil's" fault that certain people don't choose certain professions....... This might've been the case 40+ years ago, but certainly not today.

Please.

What contradictions have I highlighted?

I've maintained that discrimination is wrong, regardless of who's being discriminated against.

You've been arguing against me for 2 days now, so you obviously endorse and agree with discriminatory hiring, IE: people getting hired, or not, solely based on their race or sex while bypassing exponentially more qualified people who are the "wrong" race or color.

How does it feel to be a racist/sexist in this day and age? ;)
Well why don't more women apply. I have asked this question three times now. If it's not the case today the numbers sure don't reflect it.

Latest resources

Back