Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never flew 135 yip

The thread is about the regional pilot who's been doing the EXACT SAME JOB into tougher places, on harder schedules for years, that they are being asked to do for the major - and not getting even close to an equal opportunity.

That age old adage of "known quantity" doesn't fly anymore when you have tens of thousands of RJ pilots applying-

Again- at southwest 26/30 military.

Are you saying the Republic, Skywest, air Wisconsin pilots of the world deserve that kind of ratio in favor of military.

And screw that known quantity - that's not true. A fighter guy is going to give you different things from a c130 from a Kc-10 or c5.

The military has a diversity of flying- the most applicable being transport heavies and 737 type crew environments- to the least applicable being fighters-
And yet what gets applied to the hiring process: the military pecking order of fighter guys first.

It's dumb and it ought to be a lawsuit if it's this slanted.

The regional pilot who's been doing the EXACT SAME JOB is much more of a known quantity than a military guy who is still figuring out how to do a cross wind landing.

It's the old guard hiring their own. Plain and simple. How did they get to be the old guard? Bc they got hooked up when they were young.

I respect the military and their pilots but am done taking a backseat to them-

Especially at southwest where we have that ridiculous pain in the ass Phoenix base
There is nothing cultural that the air tran purchase could bring us that would be worse than the ripple effect of the 1990's meet and greet "hire every military pilot" and mold them into a self entitled dou<hebag" program we had.

Sounds like it's back up and running in 2014 so far and I apologize to those very qualified good attitude regional guys

And with that, I'll bow out-
The FI world knows what I think

I actually care about this subject and apologize for going down the FI troll route-

Please debate it without me hammering each post

No, it's because they have been around the block and hope they can provide some stability to the system which loves to see a group of errant pilots vote themselves out of a job. Maybe that's why airlines love the military guy, we want the job to last.

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

Let's start with the "been around the block" comment. Say you're a brand new captain, first month after upgrading. You're heading to LGA, EWR, DCA, BOS (or fill in the busy airport of your choice). The weather sucks, you get to the "jet" and have an equally new FO. Would you rather have a guy/girl who just finished new hire IOE after flying a desk for 3 or the last 5 years, or a regional guy/girl who's been to these airports (or was maybe even based there) for the last 10 years? Tell me again who's "been around the block"?

As far as the "wanting the job to last" comment. Really? Give me a break.

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

Let's start with the "been around the block" comment. Say you're a brand new captain, first month after upgrading. You're heading to LGA, EWR, DCA, BOS (or fill in the busy airport of your choice). The weather sucks, you get to the "jet" and have an equally new FO. Would you rather have a guy/girl who just finished new hire IOE after flying a desk for 3 or the last 5 years, or a regional guy/girl who's been to these airports (or was maybe even based there) for the last 10 years? Tell me again who's "been around the block"?

As far as the "wanting the job to last" comment. Really? Give me a break.

Look at the source. ScoreboardIII has eleven pinkie fingers, according to his buddy Red-liar.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Actually that post came from a F-15 guy on the "other place", for a Navy guy after being on a boat, Mac D's is a treat after weeks of mystery meat covered with brown gravy on white rice.

Just having fun. The Air Force has become the branch of service for the anorexic. :D

I'll go to the mom and pop joint over any chain any day. Support local. End chains that contribute to the obesity epidemic that plagues our country, and cockpit. One thing is deadly clear... There is obvious discrimination against civilian pilots being hired today at the majors. AA is 99% military, SWA 95%, DL 90%, etc. It's ridiculous. All one has to do to to confirm this is look at the applications that specifically ask of you are an astronaut or fighter pilot. Seriously, get over yourselves. Let's get a class action going!

Last edited:
Think these hiring decisions go beyond who is a better pilot. Airlines are focused more than ever on hiring specific "traits."

Please^^^

If for one second you think you can out fly a Naval Aviator (% rise), you need to think again bitch. Do military guys know your CBA and 117 .... NOPE not at all. That will be OJT.

I task you to go out and land on a pitching deck with no horizon. Oh, u cannot.

Seriously wave, go fu(k yourself.

If for one second you think you can out fly a Naval Aviator (% rise), you need to think again bitch. Do military guys know your CBA and 117 .... NOPE not at all. That will be OJT.

I task you to go out and land on a pitching deck with no horizon. Oh, u cannot.

Seriously wave, go fu(k yourself.

Seriously, DAAA320. ... You are a ******************************. Oh my god ! A pitching deck !!! It's always into the wind , isn't it!!! In the real world it's crosswinds and you have no idea how to handle it, do you?. And you have the most up to date tech to back you up, even with this "pitching deck" that is NOT real life in real life.

The military TOLD you that you are the best, brightest, boldest, baddest, motherforking pilots on the planets. And you are (were)!!!!! NOW GET OVER IT!!! BECAUSE You ARE NOT ANYMORE!!Except that you have been trained for one and only one "mission " You are trained just as far as the grunt on the ground that you refer to as "cannon fodder".

You (ex military) are the joke. The Navy pilot hits the numbers regardless of the g load to the passengers. The Air Force pilot makes a greaser ignoring the runway length. The civilian pilot makes a choice depending on the conditions.

Out fly you ? Any of the Civilian kids I have ever flown with over you military pukes.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back