Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You seem awfully defensive...
Do you consider yourself to be included in "so many folks"? ;)

Your arguments are a self fulfilled prophecy.

You act cocky. Pilots call you on it. You convince yourself it's bc of an insecurity on our part. ??

The single biggest reason pilots don't like mil pilots is bc of their lack of perspective

You point was clear to me and I'm sure most. It's spot on that equally competent pilots come from all kinds of backgrounds. Someone who thinks they are better invariably turns out to be amongst the weakest.

You guys are confusing the terms "better" and "qualified & experienced"

My heart burn over majority military hires isn't a talent issue- it's an experience issue

I don't believe we should have pilots "learning on the job" at a top end major when thousands who wouldn't be are vying for the same class date

Dan,
First, I'm betting you have no idea on the numbers of ex-fighter pilots at SWA. Second, I'll bet you do t know the background of the pilots in the accidents you mentioned. Third, most captains spend years in the right seat operating into all sorts of airports. Fourth, you have to look at each case individually if you are going to call out a specific background as contributory to an accident. Was it an ex fighter guy? How long had he/she been at SWA, and what are the circumstances. Comparing SWA of today with DAL of the 80s is ridiculous. I've never flown with an ex-fighter FO but the captains I've flown with, at 2 major airlines have all been great. I never said civi pilots were bad and I don't buy the argument that ex mil guys cause an unhealthy environment.

Your first bet would be a safe one as I said myself I didn't know. I'm just looking at this string and speculating on Wave saying classes were almost all Mil. The best and safest option is having a strong mix of experience from various backgrounds. Hiring all civ and ignoring the high tech compressed training and demanding flying the mil pilots bring to the table would be just as bad as ignoring the high density extensive weather background the civ pilots bring to the table. It sounds like SWA has in fact hired from both. Good. I see stories on here about PHX being an extension of Luke AFB? That would be unhealthy and less safe as anything less than a solid mix of pilots from various backgrounds is not the best option. Having a clique of one type of pilot in an airline that looks down on another is not the safest option by any means.

Yeah but Wave is only talking about one class and making it sound like it a regular practice by SWA. Civilian only pilots at SWA still outnumber military pilots by 10%.

While SWA has had some incidents, and the fatality at MDW, their safety record has been outstanding, especially considering all the takeoffs and landings they do. Would you then credit that to all the military pilots they hired? It is pretty easy to dismiss Wave point because his opinion is so colored with bias. Anyone could easily turn those stats on their head because of Southwest's exemplary safety record.

How did you find that info?
Source?

We at SWA live with the history of meet and greet non interviews that created our Phx base

Ask any of our FAs and ops agents who the biggest pains are. Most difficult: those who pretend they're still in the military- swear some of these guys are pissed they aren't being saluted

It's an earned opinion I've got.

Want me to not have those opinions? Get your guys acting like do^chebags to stop being snags and normal out.

Just flew a trip with a great ex mil guy. Heavies -but it had me rethinking the extent I'm taking this rant)

No the notion is that military training is superior because in most cases its more structured, more consistent, and has a more rigorous selection and attrition component. That is all that is being said.

Everything else you have read is pretty much the bias of a few people and includes military pilots can't taxi, SWA hires all military pilots, military pilots are selected by back room deals, and fighter pilots can never learn to operate in a crew environment. That stuff is all made up.

No military pilots said that civilian pilots were untalented. All that was said is military guys received better training. Anyone who has done both will tell you that.

"Never"
I've been very clear to avoid superlatives and make the point that a majority of ex mil are well and good- but there is a big enough percentage to level critique- you're the one saying those critiques apply to all ex mil.

"All"

"All" of it's made up?
That stuff never happens?

The point you won't acknowledge: that that very good excellent military training never once trained a pilot on 121 ops.

That's the point. Commuter and regional training is nothing but structured- you clearly have not been through that.

I find regional pilots complety lost when coming into the on-demand busienss. Had a lot of ComAir guys coming here a while back. They are not proficient in steam dials, hand flying skills, and flying with only VOR and DME on the Jet Routes. They have no idea how to clear customs at 0400 at KLRD, or deal ICCS to get clearnace to off load Cargo in Mexico. Plus them seem to have no idea how to use a J-Bar and skates to move cargo on the DA-20. I guess 121 regional pilots are not very well prepared to go into the on-demand cargo world.

How did you find that info?
Source?

We at SWA live with the history of meet and greet non interviews that created our Phx base

Ask any of our FAs and ops agents who the biggest pains are. Most difficult: those who pretend they're still in the military- swear some of these guys are pissed they aren't being saluted

It's an earned opinion I've got.

Want me to not have those opinions? Get your guys acting like do^chebags to stop being snags and normal out.

Just flew a trip with a great ex mil guy. Heavies -but it had me rethinking the extent I'm taking this rant)

I posted those stats earlier in this thread and they came from Southwest. The ratio is 45% former military/55% civilian trained at least as of 2011 when the article was printed in the Air Force Times.

Anyway "my guys" are your guys now. You have a problem, you deal with it.

"Never"
I've been very clear to avoid superlatives and make the point that a majority of ex mil are well and good- but there is a big enough percentage to level critique- you're the one saying those critiques apply to all ex mil.

"All"

"All" of it's made up?
That stuff never happens?

The point you won't acknowledge: that that very good excellent military training never once trained a pilot on 121 ops.

That's the point. Commuter and regional training is nothing but structured- you clearly have not been through that.

Yeah I skipped the regionals and went right to the majors. That Part 121 ops section of ground school was so difficult, I don't know how I made it through.

Re-read your posts and insert your own name, then come back and tell me what it sounds like. And yes, your back room hand shake military pilot selection process is entirely made up.

Latest resources

Back