Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
26 out of 30 AC

I don't have perceived inadequacies - I earned my spot and am tired of pilots who didn't getting a hook up

You came up with the notion that military selection was all political. I am still trying to figure that one out.

There's a waiver for everything if you know the right people AC
To not know that is naive

Most of you- yes- I do not disparage mil training

At all. By all accounts, I wish I had done it- for the experience - sounds like a hell of a challenge and often a lot of fun. Wasn't my goal though

Who Would've thought I shouldn't study civilian aviation and airline systems if I wanted to be a civilian airline pilot?

You're right- I don't know

What I do know is how bad many military pilots perform online at the job we ALL have now, how entitled and cocky a significant percentage of military pilots are, and how naive and confused they are about things I learned at my first commuter.
So you were flying 121 and didn't know what you were doing for the first few months. Them those guys were just like you were. Why not help them instead of complain about them?

If you want to talk day in and day out about how excellent mil pilots are in military ops- sure- I hope so and by all accounts try are-

What they are on the civilian side is qualified for a regional-

Spend a year or two at a regional and THEN AND ONLY THEN, should they be qualified for a top end MAJOR
How did they do it when there were no regionals, or commuters flew a Navajo under Part 135. No one with a few thousand hours of jet time should be relegated to a low paying job with a lousy schedule just because you were. If you learned 121 on the job, why shouldn't someone else be afforded the same opportunity?

And see how ridiculous this is? Because it's military pilots who are getting the hook up- 87% military in the January class at SWA-
If you think that's right, then you don't know the civilian world anymore than I know military
Still waiting for those class stats. How many heavies and 737 guys? Well?

And btw- you should talk to your military 9/11 furloughs who went to republic and skywests - or even the delta early out 76 capts- talk about getting their a$$ handed to them living the civilian life... Did you EVER fly a line before your major airline job Mamma?
135, 121 turboprop or RJ?
If not- pot meet kettle

Maybe you have a bit more defensiveness bc you have earned your spot and as a C17 driver actually do have a sense of crm and what it's like to fly transport jets-
Most military guys are great-
That can be lost in this discussion-

I am advocating FOR civilian pilots that are getting about 20% of the opportunities right now. That is bullish/t and you know i
t.[/QUOTE]

Did you stop to think it is because with the drawdown there just happens to be more qualified military guys coming off active duty. Between 2006-2008 almost no one was getting out. Its just a cycle man, get over it.

There's a waiver for everything if you know the right people AC
To not know that is naive

Most of you- yes- I do not disparage mil training

At all. By all accounts, I wish I had done it- for the experience - sounds like a hell of a challenge and often a lot of fun. Wasn't my goal though

Who Would've thought I shouldn't study civilian aviation and airline systems if I wanted to be a civilian airline pilot?

If the pool of applicants is large no waivers are given. Like I told you, waivers are granted if they don't get enough qualified applicants and serves the purpose of drawing in more people, not excluding them. That is not the case right now.

26 out of 30 AC

I don't have perceived inadequacies - I earned my spot and am tired of pilots who didn't getting a hook up

How we looking on those class statistics? If a single one of those four civilian guys has less time than the 26 military pilots your whole assertion would pretty much go out the window.

These guys are far more qualified according to your boss. That's he is recruiting at the AF bases. Deer in the headlights? Please. We had a guy in my 737 initial class who flew SAAB 340s for Colgan. Had no idea what anything glass was; GPS; RVSM or ETOPS. Big deer in the headlights but we did not think anything less of him. He went through training and after a few extra sims and a little more time on the line, he was just as good. The point is....he was trainable just like the mil guys.

No its not knowledge of GPS or glass, its reading an ops manual and making a hotel reservation that makes a good pilot. Those things are intuitive and can't be learned unless you spend a few years flying an RJ for $20,000 a year.

That guy made it through and sounds like a lesser qual'd civilian

You see? We know there are some weak pilots in our ranks

So if that guy made it- why do mil guys get 80% of the slots?

Sounds like our weakest get through no problem bc if any civilian pilot in 2014 doesn't know about rvsm gps etops or glass that's a problem with recruiters hunting for the least qualified civilians-
There are thousands out there looking for jobs who have both turboprop and RJ international experience

Why would they choose and hire a Saab only guy?
Diversity

You kinda proved my point though- thanks

Wanna bet that guy didn't suffer from attitude:arrogance issues

Bet he doesn't sit down next to ex fighter pilots and talk about his turboprop days and how much better he was bc the captain never flew those

Still waiting for those class stats. How many heavies and 737 guys? Well?

t.

Did you stop to think it is because with the drawdown there just happens to be more qualified military guys coming off active duty. Between 2006-2008 almost no one was getting out. Its just a cycle man, get over it.[/QUOTE]

Except that cycle doesn't even out for civilians does it?

Wave, you need to quietly bow out of this debate. You're not doing too good.

That guy made it through and sounds like a lesser qual'd civilian

You see? We know there are some weak pilots in our ranks

So if that guy made it- why do mil guys get 80% of the slots?

Sounds like our weakest get through no problem bc if any civilian pilot in 2014 doesn't know about rvsm gps etops or glass that's a problem with recruiters hunting for the least qualified civilians-
There are thousands out there looking for jobs who have both turboprop and RJ international experience

Why would they choose and hire a Saab only guy?
Diversity

You kinda proved my point though- thanks

Wanna bet that guy didn't suffer from attitude:arrogance issues

Bet he doesn't sit down next to ex fighter pilots and talk about his turboprop days and how much better he was bc the captain never flew

You are always angry be it politics or this thing you have against mil guys. Anyway, dont take this personally, but you are a textbook narcissist. You appear to think you're the best at everything but you just can't get the upper hand on mil guys so you resort to this. You are either an extreme minority in your thoughts and experiences or SWA really attracts the d0uschebags from the military. Anyway, for the last time, your squab is with your boss, not the guys he hires. Your HR dept does not seem to consult you in regards to who they hire so maybe you should schedule an appointment with them and let your feelings be known. I'm not trying to be flippant but if you want to progress on your ideas, an anonymous chat board is not the place. Make change happen vs being angry.

Latest resources

Back