Air Force Reserves/OTS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h82land

I have just been selected by the 452nd AMW Air Force Reserves to fly the C-17 at March ARB, CA. I will leave for OTS in June and was wondering if anybody could give me some advice about OTS and UPT. Will i have a choice of UPT Base? How is flying the C-17? What can i expect during the process before OTS? Thanks

Wow that’s awesome good luck, I hope to follow in your foot steps!

C40_Pilot flew C-17s for a while and should be able to help you with some of those questions.

Nikes

ots journal

Ya, i visited your website yesterday. Thanks for letting me know. When you went to UPT, did they house you on base or did you have to find your own place?

To answer a few of your questions, reservists don't get to choose UPT bases. Your unit should have a form that shows all your predicted training dates and locations. OTS is a TDY (temporary) assignment while UPT is a PCS - meaning you get full relocation and can bring dependents. Housing is provided if you request it, otherwise you get an untaxed housing allowance (BAH). If you're single, on base accomdations consist of a studio apartment. If you're married you get a 2-4 bedroom house.

Before you head off to OTS, you'll in/out process with you unit. They should outfit you with uniforms, boots and such for OTS. (The active duty OTs have to pay out of pocket and wear the same clothes everyday until their stuff comes back from Alterations.)

Good luck at OTS. The last 6 weeks are a waste of time for Reservists. Keep a low profile; some of the FTOs are idiots who don't think highly of reservists. Keep your chin up there with the knowledge that you will reap greater rewards in life than many of the non-rated tough-guy-wannabe instructors who don't realize that tapshoes are for dancers.

Last edited:
Hey Sonic Cruzer, I was reading your quote at the bottom of your post. Is that quote from the same Ryan Air that is now operating Airbus aircraft for AirTran?

Nope

No. My quote refers to Ryanair , the Irish low fare carrier based on Southwest's business model. They compete directly with UK-based EasyJet which, decided in 2002, to expand their fleet with Airbus aircraft instead of sticking with a 737-only fleet.

You are thinking of Wichita-based Ryan International Airlines which operates A320s for AirTran on several routes in the western US. This is only a temporary measure while AirTran awaits delivery of new 737-700s from Boeing next summer.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back