• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force Instrument Flight Procedures Manual

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My God, why would you possibly want to read that unless you had to?

RJP said:
My God, why would you possibly want to read that unless you had to?
Got a lot of good stuff in it, a hell of a lot better than the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook, another reason I like it is because it focuses on the control and performance concept of instrument flying instead of the primary and secondary method that the FAA does.

Volume I is nothing more than a somewhat updated version of the old Air Force Manual 51-37. It looks like all of the diagrams are cut and pasted from that manual, including the picture of the T-37 and T-38 parked in front of Base Ops at Randolph AFB, TX in the section about altimeter settings. (It'll always be "Fifty-one, Thirty-seven" to me! :) )

Volume II is something I've never seen before, but I found an outstanding section in there about the 60-to-1 rule (Chapter 6) that alone makes it worth downloading.

Once upon a time I knew a formula to determine the constant bank angle required to maintain an arc, based on airspeed. I asked about it on FlightInfo and was met with nothing but "blank stares." The formula is in this section. :)

I highly recommend this section for any pilot, but especially for instrument pilots.

Thanks Tony.

The new FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook is a lot better than the old Inst. Flying Handbook...it may even be based off this military handbook going by the name.

Illini Pilot said:
The new FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook is a lot better than the old Inst. Flying Handbook...it may even be based off this military handbook going by the name.
You gotta link to a website? ;)

If you guys like the 11-217 that the AF has up now, keep that e-pubs website bookmarked. The follow on 11-217 is a 3 volume set that will have a lot of information on emerging aviation technologies and procedures, as well as the old stuff that is in there now.

Unfortunately every bigshot in the military gets to take a shot at these new regs and they take just about forever to come out.

Latest resources

Back