Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tytl

Hello,

I have a question about flight time for any military guy who has had the same problem. I have been only an AF pilot my whole career, so of course have my Form 5 for my flight time record. The only civilian flying I have done is a few hundred hours of CFI flying part time. The problem is the only logbooks I have, I have kept mostly for my own records, a sort of back up my A forms products. Through the years, the rational of how I have logged time in regards to PIC/SIC has changed, as I learnt about logging time, and the FARS. Basically, my logbooks are in no shape to be presented for an interview. The few hundred hours of CFI time have been extracted to a nice computerized logbook. Has anybody here been in the same situation? I would like to only have to present my Form 5, and the computer logbook with my civilian small airplane time in it. Does anyone see a problem going that route? Thanks for the input

tytl

I've done that for interviews at United and Southwest and there was no problem. I did bring my entire flight history from flight records with me to both, and they never looked at them, just the Form 5. I didn't have a lot of Civlian time outside the airlines and they never asked to look or verify my meesely amount of hours. I would expect them take a look at yours since you have a few hundred, but a computer generated logbook sounds like it would present well. Good luck.

Tytl,
Not sure what the right approach should be, but here's what I did: While flying for the AF for 20 years, I kept a "civilian" log book that mirrored my primary/secondary/instructor/evaluator time. Then as I approached retirement I transferred the log books to an EXCEL spreadsheet. After doing that, I added four columns . . . Part 64 PIC (hands on flying), Part 1 PIC, Part 64 PIC w/.3/sortie, and Part 1 PIC w/.3/sortie. It was a great memory trip going back . . . looking at who/what/where, and deciding who had the "A" code :) .

I still have my Form 5, but I'll probably take my log books and a copy of the EXCEL spreadsheet when I get an interview. (I have 4 log books that equates to 43 printed pages of EXCEL).

:confused: Still don't know what the correct answer should be but I personally think a log book can make a very positive statement of who you are but . . . I'm sure others have opinions as well.

G'luck to all.
Afterprop

Good enough

You aren't the first ex military guy who showed up with a form 5 and no substantial logbook. Every guy I know who tried to recreate a logbook met with a high level of scrutiny. These HR types are really familiar with these products and know how to read them. They are easy to verify. Make sure you have a reasonable and consistent rationale for how you break up your time. AF Form 5 was good enough for United and FedEx. There were no questions regarding my flight time...hired by both. Had the good judgement to paint myself purple and sit on the ramp.

I was in the same boat as a purely military time weenie and only took my application and Air Force Green folder (Form 5) to substantiate what I had put on the interview application package regarding flight time. Good enough for SWA and good enough for JB anyway. good luck, hope it helps.

Also

I agree l that you should have in your posession an entire flight history report as well as your FEF. While the experience of guys that have been hired contrasts with the recommendation from the previous poster, I will agree with the statement about what a logbook vs. Form 5 says about a guy. The Form 5 is factual, easy to verify and NOT creative....just like the thousands of guys hired before you. Your flight time should be the least of your worries.. keep in mind as much as Kit Darby will try to tell you otherwise, they aren't hiring a logbook.

Perfectly timed post...

Going through the same deal as tytl. Couple of hundred hours civilian and the rest off the Form 5. Think I'll just take my flight records package and my two civilian logbooks, hoping they won't even look at them.

Latest resources

Back