Air Force equivalent to MC PLC.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Velocity

I talked to a USmc recruiter last night(with my mom on the line aswell) about some flight options the Marine Corp has. I felt if I did join the USMC the PLC would be my best option.

I was wondering if the Air Force had anything that was similar to this program.

(Also the USMC recruiter said that the PLC will assure me a Jet slot(if thats what I choose; that or helos) and I talked to Pat and he said that I was misimformed. Not that I dont believe him, I just want to make sure I have it 100% correct.)

Platoon Leaders Class

My mom was on the line because she is scared he would trick me into enlisting which I would never do. Kinda makes me mad that she thinks Im that "easy"(Insert better word there).

(He called me BTW)

Marine PLC vs. AFROTC

To the best of my knowledge, the PLC option is close to what AFROTC is in a university. The way that I understand it is that you are sent to a flight physical. Upon passing that flight physical, you are guaranteed a flight POSITION with the USMC, not a jet (AV-8B or F-18 slot). You then go to a session in Quantico, Virginia for some period of time. With the Marines you are a Marine first and foremost, aviator second. I'm pretty sure the recruiter was blowin smoke on flying a guaranteed airframe. I'm pretty sure the Marine tracking system works similar to that of the Navy. You fly the T-34 Mentor first, and then are stacked next to everyone and track either Strike or Heavy/Helo. After that based on some merit point system, and the airframes available at that time; #1 stick chooses first, #2 etc,etc. I'm not sure what the navy uses for a heavy trainer these days. My buddy from college PatMack is currently in Naval training right now so any Naval/Marine commissioning airfame tracking questions would be better pointed his way. As far as the Air Force is concerned AFROTC is the comparable option. You take college courses, and enroll in a ROTC course/Lead Lab. After your soph. year you go to bootcamp. You then come back as POC in school. Professional Officer Corps. In your junior year, you categorize.(Pilot/otherwise) If you do not categorize as pilot your junior year you are still committed to some other 4-year AFSC in the USAF. (i.e ATC, etc.) Hope some of this helps, good luck-
Sig

Marine PLC is similar to USAF OTS. You can do it in one 10-week session or two 6-week sessions while you are college (summer). I'm not sure how the USMC/USN selection works, but I know none of the military services will ever guarantee an airframe before you ever step foot on the property. PM me if you have any more questions.

Stump

Latest resources

Back