Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J3guy

Is age 65 coming to the fracs? I haven't heard much about it lately, but was under the impression that it is on the agenda. Anyone's guess?

Is age 65 coming to the fracs? I haven't heard much about it lately, but was under the impression that it is on the agenda. Anyone's guess?

Although I can't guess if it's true, I sure hope it is. Some "retired" guys use the fracs as a "get-out-of-the-house" entertainment after their 30 year career flying 777 across the pond. It's quite annoying for the furloughed guys and FO's that will never upgrade when you have a "retired" guy that flys for fun and wont leave until they lose their medical or die....which has happened.

I really hope when I hit 65 I can enjoy the fruits of my labor and relax in a country home.

And before anyone throws in the statement that "the retirees lost their pension or 401k and have to work until they die"; I will tell you that I have flown with enough of them to know that the bulk of them have summer homes, and winter homes, and luxury cars, and toys and more. I get to hear all about it at 41,000 feet.

Age 65 rule across the board IS a great idea.

If someone aged 65 can't be allowed to fly passengers on a 737, why should they be allowed to fly passengers on a Gulfstream?

Okay, keep going...why should they be allowed to fly their own Cessna?

I'm not trying to put anyone out to pasture here, but here is how the FAA protects people. They do it by assumed risk.

People on the ground get the most protection. They have done NOTHING to assume ANY risk. The FAA really hates it when airplanes kill or hurt people on the ground.

Next is passengers (part 121). They have assumed some risk, but are most protected of all those airborne. The FAA hates it when passengers are killed.

Last is pilots. They have assumed the most risk. They know the consequences of their actions and are held to a higher standard. The FAA dislikes it when pilots are killed.

So, where are fractional pax? Well, they own the plane and assume the risk. Before 91K they owned all the risk and were equal with "pilot" on the FAA concern chart above. Now they are between 121 pax and pilot. A nice little niche that the powers that be have lumped in with charter pax (part 135).

My guess is age 65 is not going to make it to fractional operators. Our pax know the risk. Now, that's not to say that enough owners at a particular company won't get together and protect themselves and demand an age cap.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Just wondering, has there ever been an accident caused by the incapitation of an over-65 pilot flying a transport category airplane? I haven't heard of any. If there haven't been any this makes the subject a little lame from a safety standpoint.

Just wondering, has there ever been an accident caused by the incapitation of an over-65 pilot flying a transport category airplane? I haven't heard of any. If there haven't been any this makes the subject a little lame from a safety standpoint.

Probably get rid of Age-65 across the board.

If you can pass the physical, the flying public deserves the most
experienced, safest pilots available.

Although I can't guess if it's true, I sure hope it is. Some "retired" guys use the fracs as a "get-out-of-the-house" entertainment after their 30 year career flying 777 across the pond. It's quite annoying for the furloughed guys and FO's that will never upgrade when you have a "retired" guy that flys for fun and wont leave until they lose their medical or die....which has happened.

I really hope when I hit 65 I can enjoy the fruits of my labor and relax in a country home.

And before anyone throws in the statement that "the retirees lost their pension or 401k and have to work until they die"; I will tell you that I have flown with enough of them to know that the bulk of them have summer homes, and winter homes, and luxury cars, and toys and more. I get to hear all about it at 41,000 feet.

EXACTLY my thoughts as well!

yea same thing in the on-demand 135 we are pushing for a age 90 rule, I mean those guys are going to keep us from upgrading unless they quit flying ha ha

Latest resources

Back