Age 65 will cause FURLOUGHS and DOWNGRADES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Light a match?

As long as I can wake up every day and laugh at Brittany, LiLo or Michael Jackson -- life is still worth living. Even as an airline pilot.

Age 65 won't affect the companies that still have an A plan. These pilots will still retire at 60 OR 30 years of service. Every guy I've talked to that was close to 60/30 YOS was out.

I agree that this will slow down the upgrades but not to the degree that people think. Also management banking on these pilots sticking around is a definite problem for them. This doesn't solve their staffing problem. It does just the opposite. All we have to do is give them 30 days notice and from what I've been hearing, that's all they are going to give. Some are planning on filing their papers all at once.

funny you don't mention the year 2013.

I have the 2013 numbers and beyond. I just wanted to show the near term numbers to keep it relevant.

I also did not bother to look up all the carriers 2008-2012 numbers. If you have them handy post them here.

Thanks.

Can you talk about ICAO's role in all of this...

Maybe you can get revs. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and our own beloved Joe Merchant to help with victim status and living in the past....

Oh yeah.... and ALPA sucks!!

France and Columbia still are age 60. So ICAO has nothing to do with it. If the US filed an exemption as it had for a almost 10 years, we to would have continued using age 60.

This has nothing to do with the past. The change has occurred. The consequence of the change is as drastic as I predicted it would be. Search my past posts, if you doubt what I said all along concerning this incredibly stupid change.

The change happened. These are the consequences. I hope you enjoy them being on the bottom of a new list.

And yes ALPA and SWAPA does SUCK! The question is what t!t will you be sucking when you get your pink slip, Mr. Age 65 supporter.

Last edited:
And yes ALPA and SWAPA does SUCK! The question is what t!t will you be sucking when you get your pink slip, Mr. Age 65 supporter.

Actually I am indifferent to age 60. That is not the problem...

The problem is open skies, cabatoge and foreign ownership...

While you are worried about cows and tits.. the foreign bull is going to beat the shat out of you....

I'd forget about this age 60 amatuer hour bullshat... the real threat is 5-10 years down the road. If you'll reach age 65 with 10 years then don't worry about it....

You'll just be taking your vacation travel on your retired benefits as EVERY FLIGHT CREW MEMBER has a thick foreign accent......... yes pilots and FA's.

If you have more than 10 years left in this career, then age 60/65 DOESN"T MATTER. You'll be replaced by low wage workers willing to do your job for nickels on the dollar with no retirement or benefits. No health care...NOTHING!

Who cares about age 60 when the difference between a cabbage picker, chinese toy factory worker and US airline pilot will be minimal....

WAKE UP!!!!

Last edited:
You'll just be taking your vacation travel on your retired benefits as EVERY FLIGHT CREW MEMBER has a thick foreign accent......... yes pilots and FA's.

If you have more than 10 years left in this career, then age 60/65 DOESN"T MATTER. You'll be replaced by low wage workers willing to do your job for nickels on the dollar with no retirement or benefits. No health care...NOTHING!

Who cares about age 60 when the difference between a cabbage picker, chinese toy factory worker and US airline pilot will be minimal....

WAKE UP!!!!

Yes, you're right, the flight crew will have a thick foreign AMERICAN ACCENT....

Actually it'll be the Americans who are undercutting everybody and taking all the foreign jobs. I'm not sure what world you're living in, but American pilots are among the lowest paid (although most experienced) pilots in the world. The foreign carriers love us American contractors because we are happy to work hard for the what they pay us, while the permanent pilots whine about the Americans willingness to work for less and ruining their pay raise opportunities. Yes open-skies, cabotage, etc will hurt aviation, but it'll be the Americans who lower the bar. I left the US for overseas work because the pay is more than double and the QOL is so much better out of the good ol' USA. My Polish girlfriend makes more as a junior cabin crew than I made as a regional FO in the USA. My foreign junior ATR FO's are paid more then I was being paid as an ATR Capt. in the USA. And I make more money now as a
Contract ATR capt then a 10 year United FO. Get your head out of the sand.

Last edited:
Yes, you're right, the flight crew will have a thick foreign AMERICAN ACCENT....

Maybe you didn't read my post..... I said in 10 years.

Actually it'll be the Americans who are undercutting everybody and taking all the foreign jobs. I'm not sure what world you're living in, but American pilots are among the lowest paid (although most experienced) pilots in the world.

Compared to whom? The Euro's? What about the SA and Africans? Chinese? How much does a pilot in Cuba make?

These pilots are the threat to our profession in NA in the next ten years.

The foreign carriers love us American contractors because we are happy to work hard for the what they pay us, while the permanent pilots whine about the Americans willingness to work for less and ruining their pay raise opportunities.

These are individuals Americans, not representative of the collective. There are plenty of Euro's that will work here for less flying jets just so they can live here, green card, etc...

Yes open-skies, cabotage, etc will hurt aviation, but it'll be the Americans who lower the bar.

Wrong again. I am not sure where you are getting your data. Today, doesn't count. It is the future forecast.

I left the US for overseas work because the pay is more than double and the QOL is so much better out of the good ol' USA.

But just earlier and above in your post you said its the Americans who are undercutting. So are you undercutting? Sure it was a good deal for YOU, but did you undercut the local ATR pilots you are flying with?

It seems its you.....you are talking about....

My Polish girlfriend makes more as a junior cabin crew than I made as a regional FO in the USA.

Many FA's at many airlines in the USA make more than regional turboprop FO's. Whats the difference?

My foreign junior ATR FO's are paid more then I was being paid as an ATR Capt. in the USA. And I make more money now as a
Contract ATR capt then a 10 year United FO.

Today.

Are your calculations before or after taxes? Do you have a career with this foreign carrier? IOW, will you stay there until you retire? What is retirement age?

Get your head out of the sand.

I am simply echo-ing the indications. If you want to sit on the beach and say life is great today... fine. I don't disagree with you... but when I say to you from atop the cliff that the tsunami of globalism is on the way.... perhpas you'd want to consider.

Last two posts have become all-too-typical for flightinfo.com. Rez gets schooled by someone with ACTUAL knowledge and first hand account, then he picks the post apart and shows the entire world how stubborn and stupid acting he is.

Rez: You don't know pig poop from apple butter.

Actually I am indifferent to age 60. That is not the problem...

The problem is open skies, cabatoge and foreign ownership...

While you are worried about cows and tits.. the foreign bull is going to beat the shat out of you....

quote]

Bravo for being indifferent to age 60. But if you really understood the problem you'd realize that to go into globalization you'd want your union firing on all cylinders. It's NOT! If it was, age 65 would not have passed in the way it did. You can't claim to know anything about union process and have any faith in ALPA to handle other issues. If a few extra dollars were dangled before Prater right now to sign off on cabotage, he WOULD! Pure and simple. Rez: I've been in three unions and when I hear you talk it scares the crap out of me; I can't believe I share an affiliation with someone so stupid acting!

Latest resources

Back