Age 60 Unchnged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just don't get it

It has been discussed on other threads, but I just don't understand how someone can be for this. To move up in this industry, we need people retiring. Even though this movement is quite stagnant now, why would anyone want to vote on increasing this idle time. Changing the 60 rule would set everyone back at least ten years. I still have dreams of moving out of the regionals to something bigger, and the faster I can get there the better. Just my $.02. Fly Safe.

Closer to 60 then you think

I can empathize completely with where you guys are coming from: 'we need the ol' guys to move on so that we can have a piece of the pie.'

Do me a favor though -- after you get furloughed a couple of times (or lose your job completely because the company went down the toilet and they never called you back) and you reach your early- to mid-forties as an FO at a national, regional or major carrier, you're running two marathons a year, your doctor says you're in great shape, and you absolutely LOVE what you do -- drop me a line expressing your view about mandatory retirement at age 60. Better yet, drop me a line when YOU ARE 60, in peak physical condition and at the peak of your knowledge and experience in air transport aviation, when they're kicking your sorry ass out the door to go play at Home Depot.

To paraphrase:

Continue to contribute as much as you can to a retirement fund, find an additional source of income, and realize that a: this profession is not secure, and b: The law states we have to retire at age 60. We all knew that coming in, and if we are not ready for it after 30-40 years in the profession, it often means that we have not prepared as well as we should have.

P.S.
The above is a general rule. I am very much aware that some people are forced to deal with devastating issues beyond their control. Most of us, however, should be planning for our retirements with the knowledge that it often comes sooner than we'd like.

Latest resources

Back