• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
I respectfully disagree...

pilotyip said:
do not lie down this family separation stuff, it comes with the job, everyone knows about it.

If you are going to use that logic regarding time away from home/base/family/whatever, then you have to also acknowledge that work rules, scheduling, scope and salary expectations were ENTIRELY different back in the day. Sure, we all expected travel away from home - but how many days/month? And for how much $$$? What was the payoff?

I am happy for my military friends who are able to transition to a career as civ. pilots while also bringing in a fair amount of $ in government income and pensions ~ hey, that's a great deal financially. But don't forget that not everyone has that option - it should be considered income and security in addition to your current compensation package, not as part of it. As much as I respect and admire the job that our military pilots have done, don't sell the civ. guys out - and I'm sure I don't have to explain the lifestyle and financial sacrifices of the average civ. pilot before they get to the majors, all with the promise (at one time, anyway) of financial security and lots of time off at the pinnacle of one's career success. THAT has always been a part of the deal, too!

A career as an airline pilot does not and should not include service in our military, and our compensation and benefits should reflect that.

Yes. Let freedom reign.

It would be interesting to know the age of voters. I think that would clearly divide the answerers into the yea or nay camp... which leads to the conclusion that inevitably most of the young nay voters will become older yea voters...

PCL and Capt someone if your luck holds out you to may enter the stone age.

I love the individuals that do it for the love of flying. "All I need is $100K a year to work a half a month, what a great job!" they say. There is a vast majority of us that probably will never see a 100k. 15 years, three furloughs and now working for an LLC that I have a better chance of getting furloughed from than upgrading is getting to be the norm. 12 out of the 15 in my class were all in similar situations. At least were gone alot. What a great way to take care of your family, I'm sure your passion puts food on the table. As long as pilots are willing to sell themselves on substandard pay (100k/yr) the pay will just keep going down.

That's all I've got to say about that.

larcifer, what is sub-stanard about $100K/yr, when it is above 95% of the income in the US?

If 100K is such a great paycheck, how come it isn't good enough for mgt?

pilotyip said:
This is still a great career field, you can still reach the $100K figure without a college degree. $100K is in the upper 95% of US income. To be paid that much to do something you like is something few people ever get to experience. Fly because you like to.

Technically, although you may not need the degree, you still need the training required to accumulate your certificates and ratings.

Let's assume a person comes right out of high school and decides to go immediately into flight school. Let's also assume that this person must finance (borrow the money) the training on his own.

What does it cost to go from student all the way through MEI? It's been awhile since I've done it, but I am going to say approximately $30,000.00, plus whatever room and board expenses may have to be met. For simplicity, let's say $30K.

The kid is a real whiz, and completes all training in 12 months. So, first year out of high school, and here we have a fully-trained CFI/II/MEI with 300 hours and $30,000.00 in debt.

Let's look at a sample timeline. (I know, it not's exact)

2 years of flight instructing at $300.00/week. $15,600/yr
1 year of flying cancelled checks in a C-310. approx: $20,000.00

At year 3, our star-student either goes to a regional airline or a jet freight operator. Either way, we have an individual who has grossed $51,200.00 over 3 years. In addition to making installment payments on his loan, this person must also pay rent, groceries, car payment, insurance, and if he has a girlfriend - a credit card bill each month.

From day one of flight instructing to my first year making $100K, it took me 6 years. So let's say this individual is making $100K by year 6.

If the person is single and making $100K/yr, the take-home is probably around $60,000.00/yr. Depending on where he lives, this could be a good or a bad wage. If it's in a rural area, he can probably have a good living. If this person is based in Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, or most other major metropolitan areas, it is going to be tight if this person wants a decent house in a good area. (not prestige area, just a good one). Or, be a full-time renter.

Tack on a wife and even one child, it gets even tighter if this person is the only wage-earner in the house.

I would agree that one can make $100K/yr without a college education in this field, but I think they are more the exception and not the rule. Furthermore, $100K/yr in 2006 dollars isn't an extraordinary amount of money. I would say that it is probably the equivalent of $50 or $60K in the late 1980's.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back