• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Johnlp3

January 22, 2007
Age-60 Decision Near
By Russ Niles, Contributing Editor

FocusFAA, the FAA’s internal newsletter, says the online publication of the report of a committee looking at the contentious mandatory retirement of airline pilots at age 60 means FAA Administrator Marion Blakey is close to making a decision. And if we're reading between the lines correctly, it would appear Blakey is prepared to fall in line with other members of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and allow pilots to keep flying until age 65 as long as there's another pilot younger than 60 in the cockpit with them. However, the newsletter says Blakey might need some legislative help to shield the government from a rash of lawsuits that could result from the move. The committee, which considered 18,000 comments from 5,500 people, recommended that the rule not be applied retroactively, meaning those who reach 60 before it goes into effect will not be allowed to get their jobs back. The newsletter says that if Blakey lacks the clout, "federal legislation might be required to protect companies and unions from lawsuits that might arise if pilots older than 60 claim age discrimination or other employment issues." There was no speculation when Blakey might make her move.​

Last edited:
Age 60 is as good as gone boys. Lets all get used to it and start planning accordingly.

Bite your tongue! Now this thread will end up 14 pages long with the last 12 being RJ guys and 58 year old USAir guys pi$$ing on each other's shoes... ;) TC

I was hoping to avoid that with my post. That's why I didn't say anything pro or con, just the facts... that age 60 is as good as gone... and it is! Personaly, when they do raise it I hope it's after 2/28/2009. That date has nothing to do with me, it's when a certain person who needs to leave this profession turns 60.

IHF

This is nothing new. Just a re-hashing of last weeks news about Blakely. By the way "18000 comments from 5500 parties" shows a stuffing of the ballot box to the tune of 3.5 comments per "party".

Some of the "partys" I saw on the comment web site, were posting a comment every day. I guess Marion noticed this?

"Proponents note that a pilot shortfall is pending and would be exacerbated by the Age 60 rule, according to some in industry."

Shortage of pilots = payraise, sounds good to me!

"An overriding concern is the legal status of retired pilots who would seek reinstatement if the maximum age is raised to 65. The rulemaking committee's recommendation to the administrator is that any change to the Age 60 rule should be non-grandfathered. If the administrator does not have the legal authority, then federal legislation might be required to protect companies and unions from lawsuits that might arise if pilots older than 60 claim age discrimination or other employment issues."

You can bet there will be many lawsuits!

After the 60 plus year old Captains initial brief, you know, the "let's do it by the book, etc stuff" my reply will be blunt.

"The first time I see you fall asleep or nap, The FAA and the chief pilot will be getting a call. Let's have a fun trip."

should be a blast

After the 60 plus year old Captains initial brief, you know, the "let's do it by the book, etc stuff" my reply will be blunt.

"The first time I see you fall asleep or nap, The FAA and the chief pilot will be getting a call. Let's have a fun trip."

should be a blast

Don't bother with the chief pilot, he would already be notified as I had you replaced. So how many times do you think you would pull this stunt?

Latest resources

Back