Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DaveGriffin

Registered Self-Abuser
Here is an interesting article regarding the intrinsic differences between the “I drop bombs mentality” of the AF and the immediate needs of the grunts on the ground that depend on the AF for support in difficult situations. The bomb dropping pilots and their senior staffs simply don’t have the same sense of concern, urgency and understanding of ground support that the outstanding Spectre Gunship and A-10 drivers have. It’s that “country club” attitude showing through again; “Let's drop these bombs and get back to PSAB for happy hour”.

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/default.asp?target=HTAIRW.HTM

September 27, 2002; The experience in Afghanistan has revealed some dangerous differences in how the army and the air force wants to use smart bombs. The air force was very pleased with the way smart bombs worked in Afghanistan. But the army was less pleased. While the air force objective was to get bombs on target within 11 minutes, this only happened in situations where the air force ground observers were in touch with a bomber directly above. When the bombers were not around, it could take from 26 minutes to several hours to hit a target. And if an air force ground controller was not available, you would never get the support. Moreover, the air force prefers to have the army give it 36 hours notice for bombing operations, as the air force normally operates on a 36 hour cycle (which is good for them, but not for ground troops who have encountered enemy resistance no one could plan for.) The air force has also been increasingly reluctant to bring their fighter-bombers down below 10,000 feet, which is where the army needs them when the enemy is a moving target. The army has long since bought hundreds of attack helicopters to solve this problem, but there are times when the situation on the ground is so hairy that the helicopters aren't sufficient, and it's a matter of life and death to get high flying fighter bombers to come on down and join in. The air force does have A-10 ground attack aircraft, which work quite well. But the air force has been trying to get rid of the A-10s for over a decade and won't spend the money to build a replacement aircraft.

The Afghans quickly figured out how to make the smart bombs and night vision gear less effective. Al Qaeda and Taliban fighters operated at night more often, even though American ground troops and aircraft had night vision gear. What the Afghans feared most at night were Predator drones, AC-130 gunships (which they called "Spitting Witches") and AH-64 helicopter gunships. Moving around at night in small groups, they knew a smart bomb would not get them. The Afghans listened for Predators, AC-130s or AH-64s, and when they hear one nearby, they would lie on the ground and cover themselves with a blanket (which would degrade the heat sensing night vision equipment enough that they would usually "disappear). Several times, commanders watching Predator battlefield videos actually saw this disappearing act take place.

The army is intent on getting their artillery observers trained to call in air force strikes. Many air force generals agree, but as an institution, the air force resists giving up that kind of power. But the army is adamant, pointing out that the air force would never provide as many ground controllers as the army needed, and in a confused ground battle, you need plenty of ground controllers. The army will often have several artillery controllers per platoon, and would like more.

The air force likes to concentrate on how many sorties they flew and bombs they dropped. But to the guys on the ground, that means nothing. What counts is how many bombs hit a target the ground troops needed destroyed. All of this will turn into another Pentagon turf battle, but the outcome will be a matter of life and death for ground troops.

DaveGriffin said:
Here is an interesting article regarding the intrinsic differences between the “I drop bombs mentality” of the AF and the immediate needs of the grunts on the ground that depend on the AF for support in difficult situations. The bomb dropping pilots and their senior staffs simply don’t have the same sense of concern, urgency and understanding of ground support that the outstanding Spectre Gunship and A-10 drivers have. It’s that “country club” attitude showing through again; “Let's drop these bombs and get back to PSAB for happy hour”.
Dave you ignorant slut! Speaking as a former airborne and jump FAC as well as a "bomb dropper," nothing could be further from the truth. You need to find a better source than www.strategypage.com. And while I'm at it, jumping out of the back of a Combat Talon does not a rating make.:rolleyes:

Re: Re: AF vs. the grunts

ExAF said:
Dave you ignorant slut! Speaking as a former airborne and jump FAC as well as a "bomb dropper," nothing could be further from the truth. You need to find a better source than www.strategypage.com. And while I'm at it, jumping out of the back of a Combat Talon does not a rating make.:rolleyes:

ExAF;

The SOW FAC's assigned to my platoon were always absof*ckinglutley great. They just couldn't run or swim. No complaint at all with them. But even they can't get the prima donna bomb droppers s to get their hands dirty and respond quickly enough to do any real good for the poor saps on the ground who only have a few mags of assault rifle rounds. A well placed and timely 500 pounder really helps out when the sh*t hits the fan.

I posted the quote and link because it is a somewhat accurate representation of my personal experiences. I'll buy Spectre, A-10, F-14, F-18 and the helo drivers beers from now until closing time. They were always ready willing and able to whatever was necessary immediatly to help out. It was the AF "I drop bombs from way up on my schedule" crowd who always were more concerned with getting back in time for karaoke night at the club than they were about helping the guys down in the dirt.

Don't worry ground pounders.

For the price of only 30 or 40 A-10s each, the Air Force is getting the F/A-22 . It can carry two 2000 pound bombs, or someday maybe six mighty 250 pound bombs!!!!!

Your worries are over!!!

Jim (ex USAF ALO)

As a former grunt, I would much rather have an A-10 or AH-64 on station than arty inbound ... more punch. But I'm not sure I'd want an AF FAC calling in F-15s with 250 or 500 pounders unless I'd worked with him, was very confident in him, and he was right there on the ground beside me. Those 500s can make a real mess!

I'd rather be able to pop smoke and guide the low-and-(relatively)slow guys in myself, I feel I have more control.

Sgt. Minh Thong, US Army (Ret.)

I think the point Dave is getting at is that the Air Force prefers to fly pre-planned interdiction missions while the grunts want orbiting aircraft on call. If I am not mistaken, there was a big fight about this in the Vietnam War. The Air Force wanted all air under its control for the preplanned sorties and the Corps, being infantry thinking, refused and instead used aircraft either orbiting or on strip alert for CAS. I have no doubt that the Air Force is good at CAS but it is a secondary mission after air superiority, nuclear deterence, etc; it is the primary focus for Marine (and Army) Air.

Having been (way too) close to both sides of the CAS discussion for a couple of years, I'm afraid that CAS is one of those military/political furballs that's never going to get straightened out. The sad truth is that NEITHER the Army's nor the AF's senior leadership really wants CAS -- to the AF, it's the whole independence thing that "we're not the Army Air Corps anymore," while with the Army's brass, calling in A-10s is tantamount to saying "we can't do it on our own, please save us, Air Force." I've seen the attitude from Sr. officers on both sides, and it's sad, because well executed CAS is un-CENSORED-believable.

Z

JimNtexas said:
Don't worry ground pounders.

For the price of only 30 or 40 A-10s each, the Air Force is getting the F/A-22 . It can carry two 2000 pound bombs, or someday maybe six mighty 250 pound bombs!!!!!

Your worries are over!!!

Jim (ex USAF ALO)

So right Jim;

Rename the F-22 the F/A-22 and you will still have an unarmored, compromised-flight-performance-for-low-radar signature, medium-high altitude, air-to-air combat aircraft a p*ss-poor Close Air Support ground attack weapon with its two 1,000 lbs JDAM’s.

It sure is sexy though. But try talking one into descending under 5,000 ft to take out a moving target within a five minute window to help out some grunts about to be over run by a superior force of bad guys. The pilots have become so dependent on precision guided weapons they have lost the skill and ability to hit anything but a stationary target from a stand-off position. They d*mn sure don’t want to risk getting any closer to the dirt than 15,000 ft agl.

We're not going to be fighting guys in caves forever.

PSAB doesn't have a happy hour. It's the perfect "combat zone" location if you're a Commander, no booze to ruin your promotion opportunities.

Latest resources

Back