Advice On Taking AFOQT 3rd Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Winged Sig 599

Since the state of the economy has affected the entire industry, including the military, I am sure that more than one of you in here have found it a particularly competitive time for finding a pilot slot in the USAF. (Regardless of the commissioning source. Guard, Reserves, OTS, etc.) This is especially true for many prospective Air National Guard fighter applicants, myself included.

Here are my questions:

1.) Has anybody heard of possibly taking the AFOQT a 3rd time?
2.) How is this done?
3.) Do I inquire directly through AFPC, or does a squadron OG/CC have to vouch for this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated-

Thanks in Advance-

Winged Sig

From what I understand you just can't. End of story. My recruiter told me of a guy in my area who somehow was able to take the BAT twice (he slipped through the system I guess), but when important people found out he took it twice he was completely stripped of his opportunity to get a pilot slot for the rest of his life. It just the rules I guess!

My buddy did it but it was the fight of his life. First of all you MUST have a failing score on it otherwise if you meet the minimum numbers, forget about it! Second he had a congressman, an F-15 unit, and two college professors to back him for various letters of recommendation. He needed the teachers because they had to attest that he had taken an English course and speech class because the waiver authority said they would not just waive a failing score, they went a step further and said he had to show “improvement” and “effort” toward making a better score. I forgot to say, he failed the verbal section by 2 points. Finally after 6 moths the guard bureau waived the verbal score but for a guard slot only. So you see, they would not even let him retake the test, only waive a failing score. The point of contact he had to deal with was not the nicest person in the world either, and my pal constantly told me getting this waiver was the hardest thing he has ever done. 100’s of phone calls, letters, you name it. He was later told if he had not had a unit backing him and telling the bureau they would hire him if he would get a waiver, then they never would have granted the waiver. He still does not have a slot, he got passed over and must find another unit. Apparently he made good friends in the eagle unit even though they had to turn him down.

Schooling

You guys say its tough to find a pilot spot in the air force, what kind of schooling are you coming from? Like what major and school? I am interested in going to college and joining after that, but i dont want to waste my time.

From AFI 36-2605

Posted this on studentpilot.net as well:

A2.6.2. Waivers. Only two test administrations are authorized. EXCEPTION: The MAJCOM TCO
may approve requests for a second retest (third test administration) or validation of a second retest, but
must not grant them routinely. TCOs and TEs must advise applicants that requests must contain
details to show their potential abilities have changed substantially since the last AFOQT administration.

A2.6.2.1. For approval of a waiver, a candidate must have completed (since the previous AFOQT
administration) at least two college courses in subjects relevant to the AFOQT, gained significant
flying experience, or improved other skills and abilities measured by the AFOQT. Waiver requests
must include documentation of all education and experience with grades achieved and other relevant
measures.

A2.6.2.2. TCOs must forward all requests for an individual's second retest (third test administration)
or validation of a second retest through the MAJCOM TCO for approval (ANG/DP, AFRC
for Reserve applicants, AFROTC for AFROTC detachment applicants and HQ AFRS for civilian
Officer Training School [OTS] applicants).

A2.6.2.3. MAJCOM TCOs will forward a courtesy copy of all correspondence to HQ AFPC/
DPPPWT for tracking and validating scores. MAJCOMs will direct their testing locations to
include a copy of the approval memorandum with the answer sheet when it is mailed for scoring.

A2.6.2.4. TCOs will forward all other requests for waivers to AFOQT retesting procedures such
as a third retest (fourth test administration), validation of a third retest, or retesting within the
180-day time interval through the MAJCOM TCO (ANG/DP for ANG applicants, HQ AFRC for
Reserve applicants, HQ AFROTC for AFROTC detachment applicants, and HQ AFRS for civilian
OTS applicants) to HQ AFPC/DPPPWT for approval. These requests must also include justifications
as outlined in paragraph

A2.6.2.1. MAJCOM TCO may disapprove. EXCEPTION: HQ
AFROTC/RRFP may approve waivers of up to 30 days for those instances where an applicant
inadvertently retested prior to the required 180 days.

Thanks for the post

Flaco-
Thanks for that post, I thought it was possible. Which leads me to my next question:
1.) Who is the MAJCOM TCO? (sorry if this is a stupid one)
2.) Are they a point of contact at Randolph?
3.) If not, how do I get a hold of them?

Thanks again-

Winged Sig

Latest resources

Back