ADD or ADHD pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

de727ups

I know a kid who is interested in flying who has mild ADD and is on meds but feels he could easily go off them. I know the FAA won't let you fly while on ADD meds but that you can get a waiver. Anyone got this waiver and/or know the details and costs of it?

You might try asking this on AOPA's "Medical Matters" board. There are some very knowledgable AMEs who regularly answer questions like this. You've got to be a member to get to that section of the site. Send me a PM if you're not and I'll post it there for you, if you like.

Look around leftseat.com for ADD. If I can recall, it says that there are a few waivers out there, but pretty hard to come by.... for now.

Over the last few years, the FAA has been moving towards approval of certain psychotropic medications. While there have been isolated cases of acceptance, the agency currently approves very few cases and utilizes extremely strict requirements.

The initial presentation of any psychiatric issue requires a psychiatric evaluation irrespective of medication use. This should be performed for the FAA by your private physician to establish eligibility for FAA medical certification. This includes but is not limited to:

Depression

Anxiety

Attention Deficit

Psychosis

Bipolar

Personality Disorder

Substance Dependence or Abuse and the use of any psychotropic medication.

Spoken like a true veteran........hey, look at that shiny object, where's my cell phone??????

I have a student in the same situation. I've talked to 2 AMEs and both said that while the student is on meds he will never get a medical certificate. They said If he discontinues the meds then with the help and approval of his personal doctor he may apply after 90 days.

It's ironic because so many pilots have ADHD

I actually ran into an Ameriflight pilot with Tourettes a couple of years back. No joke. How does one get a waiver for that?

Latest resources

Back