Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
I've posted a lot on this in the past. I hope no one minds this question. I think I'll make a fairly competetive candidate because I am well-raounded. However, an ACT subscore worries me. The Academy Catalogue states that cadets with a Math/Science score below 26 will normally not be considered for an appointment. My English, Math and Reading scores are in pretty good shape: 33, 29, and 32, respectively. But my Science Reasoning score is 25. I've taken the test multiple times and have tried numerous methods to improve the score, but it's not happening. My question is this: when they say the 'Math/Science,' score cannot be below 26, does that mean that the Math and Science Reasoning scores can't seperately be under 26, or does it mean that the average of the two scores can't be under 26? Also, are my other scores good enough to outweigh the lower Science score? Thanks.

Not Quite...

Mogus, your scores right now sound great, but it wouldn't hurt to raise them. I can't stress this enough, but keep taking those tests! You are obviously a junior since you still haven't applied yet, so you still have some time to work with. Don't give up, those tests are extremely important in receiving an appointment, especially now, with the increasingly competitiveness of the applicants. Try to score well above the average scores in each ACT topic. Also, it wouldn't hurt to take the SAT. Don't give up, use this summer as an opportunity to study, and do what it takes to get a high ACT or SAT score. I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to E-mail me or PM me. Take care!

Leo Romero
USAFA Class of 2007 Appointee

Try the SAT. It doesn't have science reasoning. Just math and verbal. You ought to try and get scores above what is in the book if you can. Those aren't neccessarily cutoff scores that are set in stone, just the normal scores of applicants who get accepted. Plus, your senator or congressman will look at those scored when considering you for a nomination. So they are important. If by any chance you could be a recruited athlete, that might help out a lot. Then you wouldn't need to worry much about scores. Good luck.

Don't worry too much about those scores...there's more to the selection process than just that.
I was not a recruited athlete and I had a horrible score on the Reading part (I think it was 21), but my math and science were both 31.
If you lettered in several sports and were involved in lots of clubs then your chances are pretty good.

Leo, I will be seeing you this summer!!!

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have about this place.

Leo has good advice. And from someone who has been there, done it, got the "free" t-shirts...

My ACT overall was 34 (36, 36, 32, 32). My SAT overall was a 1420 (I don't remember the breakdown). My grades were 3.2 + on a 4. scale. I ran x-country, was involved in the HS yearbook, and numerous other school activities. I'm an Eagle Scout.

I have 20/70 vision.

I was denied entry into the Class of 2001 when I first applied to the Academy (mostly due to not meeting PQ vision requirements).

Not one to give up easily, I kept pestering the Academy. They have a wonderful program called the Falcon Foundation that provides scholarships to candidates who do not meet one or more requirements. They give out 100 a year. If you do not get accepted and still want to go, start asking about the Falcon Foundation. It's not very well known, but a great program.

It was created to provide candidates with low ACT or SAT or GPA the chance to improve on the problem areas during a year at a military college or junior college. It is a perfect program for bringing up that one low score, as part of the program is an SAT/ACT prep class.

If you have questions, I'm online and available via AIM: rainmans6t9.

Dave Henze
USAFA Class of 2002

Latest resources

Back