Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flywithruss

Rocky Top!
I just heard a rumor that ACA, fresh off closing LGA, is closing BOS and all the Dorniers will be based at CVG soon.

Can any current ACA guys shed some light on this one?

R

I have heard from a reliable, high-ranking source within the FRJ world here that BOS should be safe. Much of the LGA flying didn't make sense with an FRJ - it could be done much easier (and quicker) with a CRJ, not to mention more capacity to offer DAL on those routes in/out of LGA. Whilst some of the stuff was fun, easy stuff, e.g. LGA-CHS, or LGA-CAE, the CRJ's speed can definitely save a decent chunk of time on the route.

However much of the BOS flying, ie BOS-PWM, BOS-BGR, is much more suited to the FRJ's slower speed + range. What I heard is that DAL compared the 2 ACA bases, and the FRJ makes much more sense in BOS, while the CRJ makes a lot of sense doing the LGA stuff.

Here's my fearless prediction for the FRJ future at ACA...

1. BOS will continue. However look for DAL to mix CMR and ASA into BOS as well. Some routes that always seem to be full, e.g. BOS-RDU or BOS-YHZ may be shifted to a CRJ. DAL seems to mix and match their RJ capacity much better than our other partner, United. The LGA closure was one display of that. I believe CMR is doing some BOS-DCA stuff, and I believe we'll only see more of them in the future

2. Did somebody say more FRJs? Yes, Dornier is imploding. However their are FRJs on the used market to be had. Look for ACA to gradually expand their FRJ fleet as we buy aircraft in 2's and 3's as they become available from smaller FRJ operators who are having some of the same problems we are with the Dorkjets. At least we are starting to take some initiative to seek out solutions to mx. problems. The more aircraft we can spread this cost over, the better. CVG is where I'd look for expansion, particularly on some of those short hops like EVV, TOL, DAY, etc... Look for DAL to relocate CMR a/c to longer stage lengths or to DFW.

3. Orlando. CHQ is having serious problems financing their ERJs for their DCI MCO hub. My big beef with CHQ is that they so lowballed everybody on the bidding for the DCI MCO hub that I seriously wonder how they can make $$$ on the routes at what they're charging DAL. There's just no way us, ASA, or CMR can compete with that. I believe we were next in line for the MCO hub. DAL is waiting for CHQ to resolve the situation, then look for somebody else to take over DCI in MCO.

One more thing. I feel bad for the many employees of ACA who had relocated to the NYC area and planned on staying in the FRJ at LGA for the rest of their time at the co. Relocating will be painful.

From the co.'s point of view, the LGA closure makes sense. We can spread our resources over 2 bases, instead of 3. Also, we will not miss the hassle of operating in and out of LGA. Whilst it has run mostly smoothly since 9-11, due in large part to capacity reductions, I think LGA was definitely an anchor on our operational performance on the DCI side. The switch to two bases should improve our performance, which has been improving by leaps and bounds the last couple months.

Replies? Anybody?

JTrain

It does make sense to close LGA so we can consolidate on BOS and CVG - both crews and maintenance. I think we would have to find a lot more DoJets before we could get a slice of Orlando - but if you hear anything substantial - post it! I'm more than happy to leave Beantown for the warmth of Florida.

Iv'e heard that BOS will be closing next spring, but who knows what will happen. Im mad that they are closing LGA, The commute from NY to CVG is gonna suk!!

Don't say everything is going to CVG - NOOOOOOOOOOOOO At least with BOS I can commute to work on AirTran (to all of you AirTran bubbas, I am EXTREMELY grateful for your open jumpseat policy). Trying to jumpseat out of PNS on Delta is almost impossible - time to buy a bunch of those $30 passes.....

Again, I would think BOS is reasonably secure - however the scary thing about ACA is that much of what the rumor mill talks about ends up coming true. Be wary - I recall we had been talking about possible LGA closure in the spring!

Hey what about CAE opening up as a pilot base? That would be awesome. I havent heard that one in quite a while but I would bid it in a heartbeat. Makes since to base pilots where mx and several of our birds spend each night right? Plus, its more than half way to Orlando from CVG and BOS. LOL. I agree w/ JTrain on many of his observations. To me BOS seems secure since the Dojet is perfect for alot of the mkts up there. But you never know these days in this business.

Latest resources

Back