• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX now accepting applications

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never said scabs. I said replacements.
Timing was such that you well know that Hete did not have to do this. This new hire class started Tuesday. First ATI Abxer's hit the unemployment line Jan 23rd.
While these folks were interviewed prior to any ATI Abxer's being furloughed, the job offer came after the first furlough.
Not scabs agreed. Never said that. Replacement pilots.....well you get my point.
The new hire issue did not need to happen. Yes the timing stunk, but it was a deliberate union busting move to force the hand on the Asian side letter.
Also most of the 80 or so Abxer's at ATI may/could/will drop of the seniority list at Abx prior to a recall. As there is only 4 years left, on the 7 yr furlough, which will/could expire prior to these, large retirements you elude to.

Only about 25 retire in the next 3-4 years at Abx if they all stay til 65.
If the average is 53, then you must wait 12 years for that big uptick.....
So don't hold your breath that retirements will get your furloughed brethren back on the property.
For absolute surety, adding new hires won't.

Also ATI is being told that those 300's are theirs.....Go figure..

One thing is for sure. This is ugly and really sux for the guys that are on what....3rd or 4th furlough from this mess. Must really sting to know that "Jo nothing vested" in the dilema is sitting in class drawing a wage and they can't....Just saying!

Last edited:
B.S. As a current 20 year pilot at ABX pilot the majority of the pilot group does not view new hires as scabs. Agreed the company could have handled this better but... they also said with the 2 yr lock at ATI and those who bypassed recall...there would be new hires on the property. The problem was timing. The new hires where hired BEFORE... ATI furloughed. Without a crystal ball it would be hard to see this coming. The new hires also made plans... quit jobs ect. Out of the 445 on the seniority list 30-40 are PFE's who went out on Medical. The average age of the group is 53 bunch of old guys. With retirements and those who have bypassed for good... the numbers will improve greatly. Hete said 4 aircraft in ASIA by the end of 2012 (currently 1) Also 2 new long trips Europe to J-BIRD and ORD to ASIA and to Warsaw. Will need lots of crews. We operate around 30 767-200 and 1 767-300 with 3 more 300's coming. Lots of crew intense flying. So welcome aboard!!!

That explains your perception....

Its Hard To Take An Airline Serious That Makes You Pay For Your Own Digs While You're In Training. Not Even The Regionals Do That And To Listen To You Guys Talk ABX Is Full Of Uber-Professionals.

Its Hard To Take An Airline Serious That Makes You Pay For Your Own Digs While You're In Training. Not Even The Regionals Do That And To Listen To You Guys Talk ABX Is Full Of Uber-Professionals.

But those Über Professionals do not decide if digs are
Paid for or not during training.
That would be the Über Professional leadership,
The very same leadership that created the shiz storm we are
Discussing in a not so Über professional way:) IYO

I know we are pilots and not English professors......... But I gotta ask.....

Why? Why..the need...to capitalize....each...word? (in my best "I'm Ron Burgandy?" voice).

I know we are pilots and not English professors......... But I gotta ask.....

Why? Why..the need...to capitalize....each...word? (in my best "I'm Ron Burgandy?" voice).

Must be of German background.

I never said scabs. I said replacements.
Timing was such that you well know that Hete did not have to do this. This new hire class started Tuesday. First ATI Abxer's hit the unemployment line Jan 23rd.
While these folks were interviewed prior to any ATI Abxer's being furloughed, the job offer came after the first furlough.
Not scabs agreed. Never said that. Replacement pilots.....well you get my point.
The new hire issue did not need to happen. Yes the timing stunk, but it was a deliberate union busting move to force the hand on the Asian side letter.
Also most of the 80 or so Abxer's at ATI may/could/will drop of the seniority list at Abx prior to a recall. As there is only 4 years left, on the 7 yr furlough, which will/could expire prior to these, large retirements you elude to.

Only about 25 retire in the next 3-4 years at Abx if they all stay til 65.
If the average is 53, then you must wait 12 years for that big uptick.....
So don't hold your breath that retirements will get your furloughed brethren back on the property.
For absolute surety, adding new hires won't.

Also ATI is being told that those 300's are theirs.....Go figure..

One thing is for sure. This is ugly and really sux for the guys that are on what....3rd or 4th furlough from this mess. Must really sting to know that "Jo nothing vested" in the dilema is sitting in class drawing a wage and they can't....Just saying!
Twist it to sound worse than it is if it helps you vent....but reality and what the contract says pertaining to recalls....the contract was followed. We will not see more than a handful of newhires in the next few classes due to the furloughed ATI/ABX crews. The union and the company said the contract was/will be followed.

What does UPS's purchase of TNT mean to ATI/ABX? Another nail in the coffin or will there be no efffect?

Latest resources

Back