Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

Hello everyone,

I am taking a class on aircraft materials and I decided to make a presentation on the A300 rudder failure in november 2001.( flight aa 587)

I did some research on the internet but I have trouble finding a description of the rudder system and the type of material used in the rudder. I believe it is carbon fibre but not too sure. anybody with any sort of information about that is welcome to help.
If there is some American airlines pilots with description of the training method used during the accident, I would appreciate you guys sharing this info.

thank you

PS : I already have the Ntsb report

the rudder didn't fail, it performed perfectly (responding to every input from the FO) right up to the point where the vertical stabilizer tore itself off the aircraft.

Hello everyone,

I am taking a class on aircraft materials and I decided to make a presentation on the A300 rudder failure in november 2001.( flight aa 587)

I did some research on the internet but I have trouble finding a description of the rudder system and the type of material used in the rudder. I believe it is carbon fibre but not too sure. anybody with any sort of information about that is welcome to help.
If there is some American airlines pilots with description of the training method used during the accident, I would appreciate you guys sharing this info.

thank you

PS : I already have the Ntsb report

At some point in your report, you should insert the following:

From the day they start flying, pilots are taught that operating below the "maneuvering speed" for an aircraft means that the pilot can deflect the flight controls to their limits without breaking the airframe. This mishap demonstrates that ain't always so.

Don't forget:

- The yaw damper had failed its preflight check and had to be reracked by maintenance,

- The lug that failed on the Vertical stab had been field repaired by sandwiching the composite with two metal plates and then drilling straight through and inserting bolts, and

- The FDR was not capable of recording rudder pedal inputs.

Don't forget:

- The yaw damper had failed its preflight check and had to be reracked by maintenance,

- The lug that failed on the Vertical stab had been field repaired by sandwiching the composite with two metal plates and then drilling straight through and inserting bolts, and

thank you, very interesting info. do you have any documentation to attest this?
I am gonna need to list my sources in the presentation.

Thanks

The FDR did record rudder pedal inputs, but its sample rate was only about 2hz, meaning that rapid back-and-forth movements were not recorded accurately by the FDR (it only recorded what it saw every 1/2 second).

Blame for this accident lies with three parties:
1. Airbus (and Boeing for that matter) for not informing aircrew of what the aircraft's structural limitations were.
2. AA for teaching advanced handling programme, w/o regard to structural limitations.
3. Any Airline with typical dumded down flight manual.

Have you tried searching back issues (in the library or online) of AW&ST? I would expect quite a few articles on the subject, and you would have the added bonus of having a source to quote other than "Huck on Flightinfo."

so who do you blame for the A310 (Air Transat Flt 961?) that lost a rudder at altitude during cruise a couple years ago?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back