• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA takes off without flaps!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DAL 727 out of Dallas and NWA DC-9 out of DTW. Wonder what would have happened if our private pilot would have spoken up and the FA's called the flight deck. Heck, the pilots are all ex-military fighter jocks, they need no help from anyone.

DAL 727 out of Dallas and NWA DC-9 out of DTW. Wonder what would have happened if our private pilot would have spoken up and the FA's called the flight deck. Heck, the pilots are all ex-military fighter jocks, they need no help from anyone.

Your ending comment is out of line for anyone in our profession. Sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder that you should deal with. Aside of that, the DC-9 allows for take-offs with zero flaps at times. I have done them on hot days. Should I announce it to the entire cabin next time I do one to alleviate any fears? Or should I just wait for the FA to call me to see if I know what I am doing? Where does it all end?

Your ending comment is out of line for anyone in our profession. Sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder that you should deal with. Aside of that, the DC-9 allows for take-offs with zero flaps at times. I have done them on hot days. Should I announce it to the entire cabin next time I do one to alleviate any fears? Or should I just wait for the FA to call me to see if I know what I am doing? Where does it all end?

EXACTLY! And BTW... amazing how that fighter guy is alive after perhaps thousands of hours of flight time (thousands of flights) without any 50 hr private pilot's help! What some term arrogance and poor CRM others term experience and confidence. When inexperienced and unconfident aviators are introduced to experienced and confident pilots, the former always scream arrogance and poor CRM skills. It's laughable.

BBB

The good old F100 that AA and USAir used to operate could take off without trailing edge flaps....and it didn't have slats either.....

This caused at least a few USAir pilots to have near heart failure while deadheading.

A350

The good old F100 that AA and USAir used to operate could take off without trailing edge flaps....and it didn't have slats either.....

This caused at least a few USAir pilots to have near heart failure while deadheading.

A350

I was mentioning this the other day when were talking about private pilot passengers. I was jumpseating on a Usairways F100. A passenger started yelling the pilot didn't have his slats out ( his term not, mine). Before I could politely say something (he was 4 rows up over the wing) the FA was there telling him to settle down, that the F100 doesn't have slats.. Out hero was very silent the rest of the flight.

AA

I'm with pedro and mud eagle on this one. The chance that some numb-nuts with 50 hrs and a private ticket is going to save the day is remote at best. The chance that the same numb-nuts, with just enough knowledge to be persuasive to a layman, will unduly panic passengers is nearly a certainty.

BBB

I had a private pilot in the back of a Dojet that almost caused a panic. We were tail heavy, and had to move people to the front. She thought because I moved skinny people, and not the 300 lb behemoths, that the plane was going to crash. Not a problem if she had asked discreetly instead of shouting that the plane was going to crash just like the one in Charlotte. Then she shouted "I'm a pilot, so I know what I'm talking about." Naturally people are starting to panic, and I was able to get them calmed down by explaining there were 2 very qualified pilots up front, and that I was a flight instructor as well, and there was nothing wrong with the aircraft. After getting everyone calmed down, I found out this lady was a private pilot who had only had her license for 2 weeks. After the Captain explained standard weights to her, and that she needed to learn some discretion, we allowed her to continue to CVG with the understanding that she needed to take her seat and leave the flying to the professionals. We finally left a half hour late (made me miss my commute home) minus one passenger who was so spooked he decided to catch a later flight............

The screwy stuff always happens on the last leg.........

Jagshemash,

On Detoilet Maddog crash flew by Ninja with Attitudes, the takeoff config warning was installed but did not work but investigators not know reason and never figure it out.

Borat

An NWA Airbus Driver told me that it was standard procedure at that time to pull the "T/O Config" circuit breaker on taxi out. Apparently, it routinely gave false alarms at normal power settings while taxiing (or powering back maybe?, I didn't get the details). I don't know that this is what happened, but he seemed pretty convinced that it was.

On another note, I wonder what Al Haynes would think of this thread?

You guys are almost all misssing the point. It's good he spoke up. Who knows he could have saved the day. He didn't but you never know. Kudos for speaking up!

I wouldn't rip on a guy with only a private. He's got some experience and it might just help.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back