• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA JFK crosswind emergency...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep LJ45, done the same myself at TEB. At one point I told the controller that ERW and LGA operations didn't concern me, I asked for a hold while he sorted it out, and bingo, a downwind for 06!

And I didn't even have to declare an emergency ;-)

You don't know. I don't know. We have a limited amount of information, but based on that it is very likely that fuel was a factor, and that's a very big deal. I'm inclined to give a fellow captain the benefit of the doubt until the facts are in. Even the FARs extend that much courtesy...

Fuel's a big deal? Really? Thanks for the update. Very insightful.

Until all of the facts come out, NOBODY should get the benefit of the doubt. Based on the facts that have come out so far, the captain loses points on the "communicate" portion of the "aviate, navigate, communicate" triad we are all taught from day one. If he had communicated better, we would not have a thread that is 10 pages long and counting. We would have known exactly what the problem was and the reason for his decision. Of course we would all then debate if the nature of the problem truly was an emergency.

I understand that time constraints may have limited his ability to effectively communicate, so we'll just have to wait and see what all the facts are. That's precisely why "communicate" is the last in piority of the triad. Once the facts do come out, he may gain points on the first two elements of the triad... or he may not.

Of course there will some of you block heads out there that will retort with, "He did communicate. He declared an emergencey. He's the PIC. Period. Checkmate." and for that I thank you in advance for your contribution.

Last edited:
Didn't everybody live? What's the controversy? We all know this isn't about Emergency authority- it's about a busy airport w/ a closed runway pushing pilots into a corner- and one captain who pushed back and shed some light on JFK standard practices. Dissecting the 'nature of the emergency' is missing the point. IMHO
:)

Yes the problem is deeper than the few facts that we were made aware of to date, Wino and some Dispatcher guy puts a lot more information out on the streets (pprune).

Like on the nice clear windy days, they aren't even required to have an alternate, of course most of us all know that the airports lose runways when it's windy and this is when holding occurs, these guys were probably dispatched on fumes.

I had to get pretty nasty with them a few months back going into TEB. One runway open and the tailwind component was well over 10 kts, which is a limitation on the aircraft I was flying. I asked for opposite direction and was told no, I told them the tailwind component was over the limit and they said everyone is landing that direction. Finally, I said aircraft have their limits and the tailwind component is over our legal limit, and I added, haven't we had enough aircraft problems at TEB already. After three times and getting pretty insistent on the last request, we get vectored off to never never land while they turn everything around. Then the controller wanted to be my best friend on the radio after a while. The northeast flying sucks, nothing but attitudes.

I hear ya! I'm based in EWR and I have learned this: there is a runway configuration at TEB, EWR, LGA and JFK that they 'like' and feel is optimal, and they won't change one airport unless all of them want a change. For instance, in the fall and winter, they'll stick with 22L in EWR because they don't wanna ruffle feathers at the other airport, but nevermind the howling quartering tailwind on approach to EWR 22L.

Anyone have any "conspiracy theories" on the NYC runway configurations?

Anyone have any "conspiracy theories" on the NYC runway configurations?[/QUOTE]

Aliens that control Area 51 and High positions in the FAA, Skull and Crossbones, Girl Scouts, ACORN...I think they are all in on it somehow.

I passed under you the other day doing the VOR DME A at TEB. I honked the horn but you didn't wave back...lol!

Latest resources

Back